Correct Mast Height for DSII

Moderator: GreenLake

Correct Mast Height for DSII

Postby DavidF » Sat May 24, 2014 10:55 pm

I had a chain plate fail last summer while the boat was moored, and that brought down the mast when the mast hinge got loaded from the side and failed. So now, I am replacing the hinge, and will need to hack off an inch or so of the mast. I thought that this is a good opportunity to make sure that the mast is the correct height. I bought a longer section of mast extrusion to use for the part below the hinge to make up any length that I need.

I have the DSII book, but I can't find the correct heights. The book talks about maximum lengths under the class rules, but I am looking for a best practice. I just bought new shrouds for the boat, and want to make sure that the heights are correct. I don't care about being class legal, I just want to make sure that the distance falls within a tolerance that works with the tension adjusters on the shrouds.

Can anyone give me a best practice mast length from the cuddy top (Band 1) up to the top of the mast?

Thanks,

David.
1977 DS2 #8687
DavidF

Re: Correct Mast Height for DSII

Postby Alan » Sun May 25, 2014 12:34 am

http://forum.daysailer.org/pdf/dsbylaw3.pdf

The stuff you want is in the Daysailer handbook, link above (pages 11 and 13 have useful drawings).

I happen to know this because I've been doing exactly the same thing to a DSII. In my case, whatever happened to the mast was done by a previous owner. I only realized there was a problem when the stays, both the originals and replacements from D&R Marine, turned out to be too long.

I'm working on the assumption that "class legal" and "best practice" are the same thing. If the class specs work for racers - not too much heel, sufficient power - they'll work for me.
Alan

Return to Rigging