Tension gauge?

Moderator: GreenLake

Tension gauge?

Postby Alan » Fri Jun 20, 2014 2:29 pm

Reading various threads, it's become apparent that a proper setup has a lot of tension on the shrouds and forestay. I don't have any experience that would tell me when the tension is correct. That being the case, should I spring for a Loos tension gauge, or something like it? And how much tension is good?
Alan

Re: Tension gauge?

Postby Baysailer » Fri Jun 20, 2014 10:45 pm

Alan,

I don't have a gauge and will put out my totally unscientific methods. Actually the first does have some backing from what I've read. Regardless of the wind conditions set the stays up so the leeward stay just starts to go slack when sailing upwind minus heavy vang or downhaul use. I think the headstay will always have more tension than the sidestays (shrouds) and it will increase with mainsheet and vang activity.

Now for the totally unscientific part: To get relative tension I stand on the deck and hold my hand next to the stays with fingers closed ad thumb out. I pull the stay with my other hand and count the fingers that I can deflect it, 3 fingers seems pretty tight to me and the full width of the hand is good for light wind, add the thumb and it would be way to loose. The headstay is usually slightly tighter than the sides when I check it. I suppose you could use a ruler and get better readings but that would just be one more thing I need to carry.

I did read another method once where they actually measured the stretch but can't recall the details.

All that said I have fixed length stays and use the mast jack to change tension and that works pretty good for me. An off note the uppers were actually quite loose when I had them on.

Fred B
Baysailer

Postby Alan » Fri Jun 20, 2014 11:52 pm

Thanks, Fred.

I went out to the boat just now and tugged on the stays (side and fore). They're looser than what you describe, so I think I'll tighten the rig up just a bit and when I finally get to sail in July, look at the leeward stay to see if I've got it right.

I don't have a mast jack (for that matter, what is a mast jack? Sounds darn useful). I've got turnbuckles on the sidestays and no adjustment on the forestay, which is equipped with the quick release from D&R.
Alan

Postby GreenLake » Sat Jun 21, 2014 12:15 am

A mast jack is a threaded rod with a big bronze nut on it. It fits where the mast is stepped and the mast bottom has a hole where it goes over the rod (~1"). By raising the nut you raise the mast and increase the tension in the rig. It's useful for trailering because you just connect the slack stays, jack up the mast, and go. But the rig better be dimensioned perfectly, because there's no way to adjust relative tension port/starboard or front/shrouds.

I have one, it seems to work, but I can't be sure that the rig's tuned properly.

I've decided on the number of turns that seem right for the conditions. With Fred's finger-gauge, can compare. I may have left things a bit on the slack side, the leeward shroud goes completely slack in moderate winds (8-10), but as I can get a good twang out of the shrouds when they are tensioned, I never felt I wanted more. (Finger gauge will have to be tried).
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Return to Rigging