C Scow Wooden Mast on a Daysailer?

Moderator: GreenLake

C Scow Wooden Mast on a Daysailer?

Postby waterbug » Fri Sep 05, 2014 10:20 am

I have a Sailstar Explorer 17, which is very similar to an O'Day Daysailer. I have available to me a 30' older wood mast, they think it is from a C Scow. I need a 23' mast. Any thoughts on whether I can make this work, with a bit of work!? I have all the rigging for my old mast to transfer. My biggest concern is the possible weight difference in the mast?
Attachments
00d0d_9cyFROLlDzN_600x450.jpg
00d0d_9cyFROLlDzN_600x450.jpg (45.28 KiB) Viewed 3843 times
waterbug

Re: C Scow Wooden Mast on a Daysailer?

Postby UCanoe_2 » Fri Sep 05, 2014 4:14 pm

IMO a lot of work that would be unlikely to yield satisfactory results. You would have to cobble things together to make it fit, and the wooden mast's stiffness and other mechanical properties would be very different from the original mast. What would you do with the left over 7 feet of wooden mast?

Your wooden C-Scow mast could well be Sitka Spruce, which is expensive. Rather than cut it up, you could probably sell it, buy a replacement aluminum mast, and have some change left over.

For comparison, I replaced the mast on my DS I last year. I found a used mast for $150 (not a bargain price). Don't know what boat it came from, but the cross-section dimensions are within the DS class specifications. The mast without any fittings or standing rigging weighs 16 lbs.
"George Washington as a boy was ignorant of the commonest accomplishments of youth. He could not even lie."
-- Mark Twain
UCanoe_2

Re: C Scow Wooden Mast on a Daysailer?

Postby waterbug » Fri Sep 05, 2014 10:15 pm

Thank you. All very good points. I think I'll pass on the wood mast, as much as I love wood!
Thanks,
Peter.
waterbug

Return to Rigging