Placement of the Reef Hook

Moderator: GreenLake

Placement of the Reef Hook

Postby Interim » Mon May 18, 2015 12:02 pm

I have a reef hook, which looks like this:

http://www.unicornstainless.com/wp-cont ... 95x195.jpg

I think I should mount it to the boom, back from the tack about the distance that the cringle is back from the tack so that when it is reefed we aren't pulling the foot forward or backward along the boom.

If this is correct, my question is which way to face the hook. I want to point it toward the sail (and the slot), but then it would be in contact with the sail when we're not reefed. If I face it outboard (away from the slot), then it seems that I would have to twist the sail around to loop the hook through the cringle. Which way is correct? Or do I put this on the mast and not the boom?

I'm sorry I don't have pictures to advance the discussion. If what I described is too confusing, I will get photos.

Thanks.

--jf
1979 DSII
Interim

Re: Placement of the Reef Hook

Postby willyhays » Mon May 18, 2015 1:41 pm

Typically, a reef hook is located on the boom as close to the same fore and aft position as the full-hoist (non-reefed mainsail) tack fitting. The hook faces outboard.
willyhays

Postby curifin » Tue May 19, 2015 10:27 pm

I had one of these but found it easier to simply tie the reef point through the sail tack grommet on the pin with a bit of line. It keeps the sail nicely on the boom and is quite secure. Tie it like a shoestring and you can let it out even under tension. The reefing hook was always slipping out when I put tension back on the halyard after reefing in higher winds. When I go for second reef I just tie it as well without undoing the first reef or the original pinned tack.
1970 DS1 "Denial"
1993 Beneteau First 210 "Dory"
curifin

Postby jeadstx » Wed May 20, 2015 11:11 am

I got one of the reef hooks from D&R Marine. Took me a bit to figure out how to attach it, but I got it attached to the gooseneck just aft of the slide. It has worked well for reefing.

John
1976 Day Sailer II, #8075 - Completed the 2011, 2012, and 2013 Texas 200
1952 Beetle Boat Swan Catboat
Early Rhodes 19
1973 Mariner 2+2, #2607 - Completed 2014, 2015 and 2016 Texas 200
1969 Day Sailer I, #3229
Fleet 135; Canyon Lake, Texas
jeadstx

Postby Interim » Thu May 21, 2015 10:46 am

Curifin--

with two reef points, how much wind are you willing to sail in? With no reefs, we've use white caps as our upper limit (about 13 knts). I haven't used our new reef yet (thanks all for the input on the hook), but am hoping we can sail comfortably to 17 knts.

--john
1979 DSII
Interim

Postby curifin » Sat May 30, 2015 12:24 am

With 2 reefs in and no jib I am fine single handed up to about 25 or so - much beyond that and I head in. With some rail meat with me I would go higher - you should be fine in 17 no problem if you watch the gusts and anticipate them well.

I don't know where you sail, but here in north central texas, it's not the sustained winds, its the large variation between sustained and gusts I find challenging in the DS. I had no reef points when I first got the boat - having them has made it a much more practical boat. Practice makes perfect - I would not have dreamed of taking her out in what I consider pretty fun conditions now.

I have dug the rail in and flipped once, there is a WEALTH of info on here on how to prevent it but bottom line - I would not have the jib up in extreme (stay upright) conditions or even marginal conditions sailing with kids. For me single handed with kids - I measure by highest gust likely - so I throw a reef in if gusts are anywhere near 15knts. Single handed without kids I won't reef at all until gusts are around 20, after than I skip reef 1 and go to two reefs with the jib - then lose the jib if its too much. I generally would rather have two reefs and the jib than no reefs and no jib. I find myself using 1 reef at about 15 if the kids are in the boat and not at all if they are not.

If you are running under double reefed main and no jib and get blasted you can dump it pretty easily. Same conditions with the jib up, the jib will put in you in a fix. Depending on where your jib sheet cleats are mounted and whether you have crew, this could be a bigger or lesser issue.

With just the main, a lot of folks hold that the boat points worse, handles worse, won't point, etc. etc., however it does not point at all upside down. I have found the tradeoff in stress to be worth it and honestly, the DS is so easy to tack, lack of pointing ability in higher winds does not really bother me that much where I sail.

I got a bob for the mast, but after I got used to reefing and dropping the jib, I don't use it.
1970 DS1 "Denial"
1993 Beneteau First 210 "Dory"
curifin

Postby GreenLake » Sat May 30, 2015 7:55 am

I like ratchet blocks on the jib. While often it's possible to leave it cleated and simply sail to it, for some conditions it's nice if the crew can hold the jib without cleating. Ratchet blocks make that possible for extended periods.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby Alan » Sat May 30, 2015 11:57 pm

GreenLake,

Are your jib sheets cleated on top of the centerboard trunk, with the ratchet blocks at the coamings?
Alan

Postby GreenLake » Sun May 31, 2015 7:43 am

Alan,

like this:

Unlike the setup in many boats, my jib cleats do not hold the sheet "captive". There is not that little "eye strap" across the cleat. I prefer it that way. I can grab any part of the sheet and start hauling; only when it's tight do I bring it down to the CB trunk to cleat. If I'm sitting out, I may have to help out with a foot to get the cleat to "grab" -- but with the ratchet blocks I have no problems holding the sheet for a while, and cleating doesn't have to be instantaneous.

In addition, I tie the two ends of the sheet together, so that I literally can pick the sheet up at any point of it, very convenient for single handing.

They type of ratchet block I use tested at double the holding power of the competition, something that's particularly useful in a case like this where there is only a 90 degree turn.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Return to Rigging