Jib setup

Moderator: GreenLake

Jib setup

Postby dpatrick » Sun Jun 28, 2015 3:29 pm

Hi,
I've got a 76 daysailer 2 that was set up with a cdi furler and a genoa. I'm trying to set it back up with a normal size jib. I can't seem to find any photos online that show the original set up. I'm assuming the jib halyard goes to a small block for raising and lowering the jib. I can see two holes where there might have been a padeye just under the (tang?). It was removed because of clearance issues with the furler(which just barely has room to spin as is) I ordered a new forestay and jib and halyard to realize I hadn't considered how the sail is raised and lowered. The real issue for me is , I'd like to put the furler on occasionally when the wind is light as the sail is just too big for heavier wind days, but a padeye would be in the way of the furler, can I mount it over the tang instead of under. I hope this makes since to someone out there...
And does anyone have a picture of an original setup?
dpatrick

Re: Jib setup

Postby jeadstx » Sun Jun 28, 2015 8:43 pm

There should be a small block just below the head stay attached with a eye strap.

John
1976 Day Sailer II, #8075 - Completed the 2011, 2012, and 2013 Texas 200
1952 Beetle Boat Swan Catboat
Early Rhodes 19
1973 Mariner 2+2, #2607 - Completed 2014, 2015 and 2016 Texas 200
1969 Day Sailer I, #3229
Fleet 135; Canyon Lake, Texas
jeadstx

Postby TIM WEBB » Sun Jun 28, 2015 9:11 pm

You and John are correct: the stock jib halyard block is mounted directly below the forestay tang, and you *might* be able to use the existing holes to re-mount one there. As to your "real issue", well, that gets into some complicated rigging, much of which depends on whether or not your jib and/or genoa have luff wires or luff ropes, hanks or not, etc. The DS manuals found in the technical info section of the site have a few useful tips, but as far as pics go, it might be more helpful to the collective if you could post some pics of what you intend to rig? If you decide to go ahead and rig your furler/genoa above the forestay tang, you'll need to work out a number of things, including how you will attach it to the stemhead, and how you will tack/gybe it, with and without the jib up, among other things. A rigger's dream (nightmare?)!
Tim Webb
1979 DS2 10099 The Red Witch
(I used to be Her "staff", in the way dogs have owners and cats have staff, but alas no longer ... <pout>)
TIM WEBB

Postby dpatrick » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:02 pm

The furler is currently set up on the boat. They removed the block from the mast so the furler wouldn't get caught on the block. What I want to do is go back to the original setup, but add a block above the tang so I can still swap it out occasionally and put the furler on. I did find a picture of the block mounted just below the tang where the holes that I found on mine would've been. I'm just wondering if there would be any problem with having the block above the tang.

I will try and get some photos of the current curling setup tomorrow, it may make it easier to see what I mean.
The new rig will be hank on jib with a new stay, so I have to add a halyard and block.

The reason I want to have the small hank on jib is that the Genoa I have is too big for windy days by myself and trying to reef it with the furler doesn't work great and the shape of the sail changes drastically when reefed
dpatrick

Postby GreenLake » Mon Jun 29, 2015 12:06 pm

Having the jib halyard block above the forestay would seem ill-advised. Especially if you would like to use this setup in stronger winds. The reason would be that the pull from the halyard would not be in line.

while I can imagine that a block at that location interferes with the furler, is that also the case with just the padeye for a block? If not, it would allow you to add the block only when you need it.

Another alternative would be to move the furler above the forestay position. As I see it, when you want to use it, you would not have a forestay in place anyway, so having it above the forestay location would not matter, but would probably give you a bit of additional clearance (the total distance would be an inch or two longer). You may need a shackle of the correct length to "extend" the furler. The very slight change in angle shouldn't matter, I think.

Now, the location just above the forestay is where the block for a spinnaker halyard is usually placed, if a DS is equipped with one. So by adding a padeye there for your furler, you would also enable use of a spinnaker (by you, or any future owner). Sounds like a win-win.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby dpatrick » Mon Jun 29, 2015 3:31 pm

ok here's some photos of what the setup is right now

Greenlake, that makes sense for sure! I think I could reinstall a pad eye and block in the original location below the tang, then take the block off if I want to put the furler on. The forestay is part of the furler so I couldnt move it from its current location, thats why I had to buy a new stay for the regular jib

Eye strap or padeye?
Attachments
IMG_0523.JPG
IMG_0523.JPG (159.66 KiB) Viewed 5902 times
IMG_0522.JPG
IMG_0522.JPG (75.56 KiB) Viewed 5902 times
dpatrick

Postby GreenLake » Mon Jun 29, 2015 6:11 pm

I know about the way the forestay is built into furlers. While that means that you need a "real" forestay when you don't want to use the furler, it doesn't mean that you couldn't attach the furler about an inch or two higher on the mast. You would just need to have something that adds the additional length, so the tension comes out the same (and you would still not be able to mount forestay and furler at the same time, but you were not planning on that).

However, if the furler works where it is, with a pad eye added and as long as you remove the jib-halyard block (and forestay) whenever you rig the furler, then, why not.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby ldeikis » Thu Jul 02, 2015 4:27 pm

dpatrick--

I'm unfortunately at home instead of out on the water to take a look for myself, but I wonder if there isn't room to mount the OEM jib halyard block slightly lower than stock and still achieve a taut halyard? Seems to me that even when the jib is strung snugly, there's a little bit of halyard coming back down from the block. Again, I'm not at the boat to see it, but if that were the case you may be able to mount the eye strap to the mast low enough to clear the furler, and just have the jib tuck into that triangle. I don't have any experience w/ furlers, but I'm interested to see how you solve this.

Luke
'74 DSII sailing Haverstraw Bay and the lower Hudson River
ldeikis

Return to Rigging