Rigging

Moderator: GreenLake

Rigging

Postby Lessund » Sat Aug 01, 2015 1:23 pm

Hello all,

I recently was given a reasonably sound Daysailer. I cannot find a hull data plate anywhere, but I suspect this is a Daysailer I. The sails are in storage so I don't have the sail #. Every picture I have seen regarding the rigging appears to be for a much newer version. Is there a place where there are some pictures of the older boats? As soon as I get the sails I'll post the sail #. Thanks for any help.
Lessund

Re: Rigging

Postby GreenLake » Sat Aug 01, 2015 3:24 pm

Welcome to the forum. What part of the rigging gives you issues?

Older DS1s tend to have a mast-jack (a big nut at the base of the mast to raise it a bit and tension the rig). In that case, they would not have any turnbuckles. However, many owners cut their masts and modified their rigging, so it's not clear from just the age what kind of rig you have.

Halyards are either cleated off at the base of the mast or lead back to cleats on the deck. What you have may reflect either the original configuration or some later modification.

Likewise, there are several schemes for cleating the jib sheets. Early DS1s had jib fairleads mounted on the side decks, later ones use tracks on the inside of the coamings, but this is also something that many owners modified.

Finally, the way the mainsheet is set up varies a lot and tends to gets modified to taste.

As for pictures, you could look through the "Gallery" here that is part of the forum, including users' galleries. But it's not organized in a useful way. You could use a search engine to search for images. Some can be told to only search on a given site, for example on google you would use:
Code: Select all
site:forum.daysailer.org

You can use the same technique to search the older posts here for discussion of the various elements of rigging (and many link to images).
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Re: Rigging

Postby GreenLake » Sat Aug 01, 2015 3:29 pm

For example, you'll find some pictures of an early DS1 here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2629
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Return to Rigging