hinged mast broken

Moderator: GreenLake

hinged mast broken

Postby Guest » Sun Aug 19, 2001 11:00 am

I like the stepped mast idea, however the bracket that attaches to the portion of the mast that goes below deck failed. Yes it just broke clean and that was a mess. I am thinking of having a new mast cut and mounting it through the deck to prevent future problems. Is there a better design or would you suggest me have a new hinge arrangement made? where can I get information? Is there someone still making Day sailer? I want to get back out on the water but first want to fix this problem correctly. HELP, ANY IDEAS WELCOME.

John Day (jadauctions-at-yahoo.com)

Postby Guest » Mon Aug 20, 2001 10:57 pm

You can get a new mast or parts for your old mast from DWYER MASTS, they are listed in the Parts area of this Day Sailer Home page. The Day Sailer is still being built, Cape Cod Shipbuilding builds the Day Sailer IV and can supply most parts for the DS I, DS II, and DS IV, as well as many parts for the DS III. CCSB also can supply spars thru their ZEPHYR SPARS division, in fact they made many of the masts for the original O'Day DS I. Again, there is a link from this DS Home page.
If you trailer your boat, I would stick with the hinged mast design! I have the one-piece stepped thru the deck mast on my 1979 DS II, and would not wish to have to step / unstep the mast every time that I go sailing. I keep my boat on a mooring all season, so don't have any real problem with the mast, but a hinge would allow me to step / unstep the mast MUCH easier if I were to have to do it alone. For racing, the one-piece may be better.

Rod Johnson, "SUNBIRD" (rjohnson24-at-juno.com)

Return to Rigging