Tabernacle Hinge

Moderator: GreenLake

Re: Tabernacle Hinge

Postby Wgfi » Sat Feb 18, 2017 11:15 pm

Thank you again Greenlake. The "contraption" looks like an excellent solution. I will be considering it. I especially like the fact the mast is held vertical without the rigging. Do you use the holding pin when not using the tripod?
Wgfi

Postby GreenLake » Sat Feb 18, 2017 11:57 pm

Excellent question. The answer is no. When you lift the mast manually, there's enough control so you can easily prevent if from slipping forward in the sleeve. Once it is raised far enough that the bottom "corner" of the mast foot is inside the mast partners, it cannot slide further forward, and in fact, will be forced back a bit as the mast gets raised further. That does not seem to impede operations. So, there's no need for a pin.

(With a tripod, if you are by yourself, a pin is useful, or you'll end up not having enough hands at one point - if you use the tripod and replace the purchase with leading the rope to the trailer winch, then you won't even be able to reach the mast while you crank).

If you build it, make the mast sleeve just tight enough that the mast will slide when perfectly aligned. Same for your mast partners (or the opening you cut into the disk). It's nice if the mast just "stops" if it's misaligned - helps aim for the mast step on the keel.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby talbot » Sun Feb 19, 2017 10:46 pm

Measure the whole spar before you start working on it. The tabernacle stub, the short piece that goes into the cuddy is 26 1/4" long on a DS II. That's the finished length, so allow for the saw kerf in making your cut. Then add the thickness of the closed hinge on top of that. Add whatever you have left on the upper part of the spar, and trim to get back to the original length.

Question 1: Do all DS models use the same footing on the cuddy floor? Just want to make sure there isn't a different footing for the 1-piece mast that might need to be replaced.

Question 2: I was checking the D&R Marine catalog, and found this note by the hinge fitting:
"Daysailer Mast Tabernacle D/S I & II. This product is not recommended if your Daysailer is on a mooring. Call Rudy@ D & R to Discuss."
Has anyone called Rudi to find out what the problem is? I've had my boat on a mooring for years with this tabertacle.
--Talbot
talbot

Postby Wgfi » Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:00 pm

My boat has a Procter mast so the fittings are different. The DS I measurement is different from the other models and I believe there will be slight differences for each boat due to manufacturing variations. Any racer must measure carefully to make sure one design requirements are met.
Wgfi

Postby Skippa » Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:32 am

Talbot, I have called Rudy to discuss issues with the tabernacle on a moored DSII, It appears the issue is mainly with boats that have not upgraded to 1/8 shrouds with open turnbuckles. It seems many with original rigging and barrel type turnbuckles have had problems with getting enough adjustment on the shrouds. I would think that is a product of proper measurement and removing the proper amount of the mast. I have the upgraded rigging with open turnbuckles so I am going to install the hinge,
I keep it on a buoy but hope to travel to a few more lakes this year. Seems like the thing to do.
Skippa

Previous

Return to Rigging