rigging trouble

Moderator: GreenLake

rigging trouble

Postby Guest » Mon Nov 26, 2001 2:50 pm

I keep my Daysailer on a mooring on the broad part of Lake Champlain. Too often, I find my mast collapsed. Immediate causes include broken stays, stays separated from mast, stays separated from deck. I would appreciate any advice on adjustments that will make the rigging hold up better to the sometimes rough conditions the boat endures by being moored at this location.

Antonia (tanda-at-willex.com)

Postby Guest » Mon Nov 26, 2001 4:11 pm

What immediately comes to mind is that your rigging is too slack. Ive noticed that my boat (kept moored) does tend to have its rigging loosen with time. If its kept tight.....the boat can roll on its beams end when moored and there should be minimal stress. I cant believe that the standing rigging on your boat is all recent and it has had failures when the boat is moored. Id guess it was tired and by now you have replaced it and should have no new problems. If the rigging fails when the boat is moored......I call that a blessing in disguise!

Harris (hg-at-myhost.com)

Postby Guest » Tue Nov 27, 2001 7:45 pm

First, I suspect that as mentioned above, your rig is too loose. Always tighten the locknuts on the turnbuckles after adjusting the rig! The previous owner of my boat did not, and the rig loosened up
very quickly while rocking at the mooring...snapped at least one shroud due to this. Also, does your boat still have the original spec shrouds and forestay? If so, it is well worth the cost to upgrade from the original 3/32" wire to 1/8" wire, the 3/32" is really not strong enough for the Day Sailer. All of the new Day Sailers built by Cape Cod Shipbuilding have the larger wire diameter. Their Zephyr Spars Division made the shrouds and forestay for my boat after the originals broke (previous owner). The mast on my DS II is stepped through the deck, if yours is deck-stepped it will move back and forth even more than the mast on my boat did, thus increasing the damage done by a loose rig.

Rod Johnson, "SUNBIRD" (rjohnson24-at-juno.com)

Return to Rigging