New stays, mast rake, lee helm?

Moderator: GreenLake

Re: New stays, mast rake, lee helm?

Postby DigitalMechanic » Sat Aug 26, 2017 8:26 pm

I decided not to raise the base of the mast b/c it would raise the tabernacle.

I was thinking the same thing at one point. I am not sure that having the tabernacle sit lower is the cure all for the tangling though. I setup a jib downhaul on my boat, and when the jib is up, I clip the trailing line leading aft from the stemhead off to a spot on the mast above the tabernacle. When I tack or gybe, the sheet is lifted up and over the tabernacle, mitigating the snag effect.

I could be wrong, but I think the O'Day design called for the tabernacle to be lifted (maybe 4-5" above the deck?). The boom sits pretty high as is, thus is pretty safe from hitting the waterline when over powered (heeling). Try dunking the gunwale sometime :wink: I think O'Day had safety in mind with their design, and as insignificant as it may feel, my guess is that "the lift" was an intentional compromise based on the target market at the time (family daysailer). A snagged line will not capsize the boat (auto hove), but the boom hitting the water line is almost a guaranteed disaster.

Sounds like you have successfully recalculated your rig to sit lower. Very nice, congrats! :D
DigitalMechanic

Previous

Return to Rigging