Fixing the mainsheet to the boom

Moderator: GreenLake

Fixing the mainsheet to the boom

Postby BananaCollision » Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:46 pm

I just got a Daysailer I with mainsheet missing. Reading the rigging instructions from https://daysailer.org/Resources/Documents/ds1man-oday.pdf and https://daysailer.org/Manuals, both start with "Take the free end of the mainsheet..." and neither discusses how the other end is fixed to the boom.

I see GreenLake's rigging 1318 has the mainsheet fixed to a becket on the boom-end block, but my original 1963 boom-end block has no such becket.

Rigging instructions from the first link above appear to show the mainsheet coming in behind the boom-end block and stopping there as if by magic.
boom end sheeting setup.jpg
boom end sheeting setup.jpg (78.05 KiB) Viewed 3772 times

Help?
BananaCollision

Re: Fixing the mainsheet to the boom

Postby GreenLake » Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:07 pm

Looks like the block is being pulled forward (and off to one side a bit), so that the other line can attach to whatever ring or shackle goes above of the block. Kludgy but it works. (The block with the becket on my boat had been put there by a previous owner - you should be able to get a block that's sized to your sheet's diameter from any number of sources - big box marine stores, any local sailboat shops depending on where you are located, online resellers (fisheriessupply.com or apsltd.com) or even DR Marine (sellers of mostly original DS replacement parts).
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby BananaCollision » Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:18 pm

Thanks, I've been sailing this weekend with the main's fixed end tied to the block's shackle as you say. "Kludgey but it works" about sums it up. I feel like eventually that shackle edge is going to saw through the fibers but it got me out on the water for my first sail.
BananaCollision

Postby GreenLake » Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:12 pm

If you purchase a block with a becket, you do not need to get one with a swivel, for that application. I have somehting that's equivalent to a Harken 147, but either from a different brand or earlier generation. Mine's also oversized because it would take the line that's shown in the picture which is definitely beefier than 3/8", but there's no need to go there when you re-rig.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Return to Rigging