mizzen, anyone?

Moderator: GreenLake

Re: mizzen, anyone?

Postby tomodda » Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:39 pm

GL:

That's a hell of a story! Thank goodness that the TX200 is a rally, not a race. I could certainly see where if I was on a starboard tack and coming into the windward mark... crewman's head be damned! Can always get more crew at the next bar. :twisted:

Just kidding, glad all are well after the mishap. I assume this was a cam cleat that popped? Maybe I'll stick with my horn cleats for the halyards.....
tomodda

Postby GreenLake » Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:43 am

I'm a believer in horn cleats for halyards - except if you use a tensioner on your jib halyard and need/want to make adjustments under way.

The cam cleat in question did not just pop by itself, but the geometry was such that putting tension on the tail could pop it. Said tension for example applied by crew resting his back against the cuddy hatch in front of which the halyard tail was hanging down.

You could say, "he brought it down on himself"; a pun that the guy in question would have very much appreciated. Just the way he liked to tell stories.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby tomodda » Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:30 pm

GreenLake wrote:Said tension for example applied by crew resting his back against the cuddy hatch in front of which the halyard tail was hanging down.

Crew resting?!? Why there's your problem right there! At the very least, have your crew holystone the floorboards between tacks, if they're not otherwise gainfully employed hiking out or fixing drinks for the skipper.

Maybe we all should indeed rig a mizzenmast, give the crew something extra to do. DesertRat (OP) has it right, the boat as built promotes lazy crew and spurious halyard uncleating incidents.

:mrgreen:
tomodda

Postby GreenLake » Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:35 pm

"crew" in question was the owner and can't defend himself any longer.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby tomodda » Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:50 pm

If he's sailing on those seas where we all must go eventually, I wish him godspeed. My crew, on the other hand, is usually my wife and will take NONE of my nonsense. Glad you got a chance to sail the TX200 with a friend.
tomodda

Postby GreenLake » Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:39 pm

Good for you to be able to be able to share your interest in sailing. Mine is being enthusiastically tolerated as long as I do it elsewhere :)

I had the good fortune to sail with @jeadstx, formally of this forum, before your time. You may have enjoyed reading some of his posts, if you dug into the archives at all.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Previous

Return to Rigging