Standard Sheet Lengths

Moderator: GreenLake

Standard Sheet Lengths

Postby Woreign » Mon Apr 22, 2019 8:48 pm

What are the standard sheet lengths for a mid-boom main sheet and standard jib sheet? Just curious if mine are the correct lengths or not.
Woreign

Re: Standard Sheet Lengths

Postby GreenLake » Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:35 pm

The main sheet you can measure more definitely, because the shrouds limit how far forward the boom can go. From that position you take your measurement between the blocks on the boom and the blocks on the CB and multiply by the number of parts in your purchase. Add a few inches for each block and nothing much for a tail.

The jib sheet is perhaps slightly less well defined. There isn't a physical stop to how far forward you could sheet the clew, but there's a point where it will not be beneficial. If you have a whisker pole, the clew may end up sheeted further outboard. The required minimum jib sheet length is the longer path from cleat to clew for either windward or leeward sheet. (I actually wouldn't be confident whether the windward sheet has to be longer to reach the downwind or the close hauled position of the clew.) Sheeting arrangements are less standard for the jib as well.

I would measure mine, except I run a continuous jib sheet (with the ends tied together - something that works well for me, but not all my crew warm up to that system).

That said, there's a table of rigging measurements somewhere that lists the jib at 26'. However, I went 3' longer than those measurements on my spinnaker sheets and the windward one could easily be a foot longer (when the sail is in stowed position). That's why I'm a bit skeptical about these measurements. I'd certainly get a few extra feet of rope and then adjust 'to taste' after sailing the boat first.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby Woreign » Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:55 pm

First time splicing! Here's my new main sheet and block!

splice.jpg
splice.jpg (174.47 KiB) Viewed 3480 times
Woreign

Postby GreenLake » Tue Apr 23, 2019 8:50 pm

Nice.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Return to Rigging