DS1 Used Mast Interchangeability

Moderator: GreenLake

DS1 Used Mast Interchangeability

Postby RobH912 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:16 am

I have a '93 SLI DS1 with a mast that had a failure with the PO and they did a "conversion" to a tabernacle set up.

As covered in previous post of mine there are a number of issues with the mast regarding halyard exits, sails maybe a little big now, issues with the boom, and both need work and $. After one summer of racing I'm thinking I should have got a keel steeped mast. I did reach out and check with Cape Cod Ship Building on their pricing for a new mast / boom as I figured that the SLI is pretty close to being a similar boat, they are relatively close by, etc. Not surprising it would cost a LOT... with mast & boom + rigging I might as well buy a different used boat.

Have recently been seeing in local craigslist listings for older (70's) DS1 for sale at relatively cheap prices... one actually was $1, paraphrasing listing "sailed two years ago, all parts and sails but trailer no longer functions. Come take it away, and remove trailer also" It was gone by the time I made contact. Another one recently $200 with a working trailer, "fixer upper"... I've asked if it has mast & boom.

So my questions are around replacing my mast / boom with a used DS1 mast / boom. I know it needs to correct size 24' 7" (I think that correct size ?), that there are different mast step configurations throughout the years and there are masts with internal or external halyards, but do not know if these DS1 masts are "relatively" easy to interchange between the different DS1 manufacturers?

My boat was measured / certified to race pre-mast failure, sails were cut pre-mast failure, would these sails fit an DS1 older mast / boom?

While I have learned a lot about what to look for in a mast / rigging, are there any specifics to look for on a used mast?

I am sure that there are other questions I don't know to ask so I thought I would post this topic.
Rob

DS1 #2444
Cape Cod
Eastham, MA
RobH912

Re: DS1 Used Mast Interchangeability

Postby jalmeida51 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:01 pm

Rob, Did you try D&R Marine? Talk to Rudy. Did you try Dwyer Mast? They are located in R.I. D/ R is located in Assonet, Mass Driving distance for you. I believe Mike is the one to talk to at Dwyer. John
jalmeida51

Postby GreenLake » Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:16 pm

Rob, my take on that wold be that you should expect masts to be replaceable, if the length is correct (or close to).

There were a number of different mast step configurations over the years and boats with a cuddy floor may (possibly) have a shorter mast than those without. However, masts intended to be used with a mast jack also sit 2-3" above the keelson and not directly on in. Such small differences could be made up by a short support for the actual mast step without losing the advantages of the keel stepped mast. Or you may have to remove the bottom casting and take off a bit to make it fit.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby RobH912 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:37 pm

John & GL thanks for the replies.

John - Yes I've looked at the D&R online pricing for a mast ($1195 "w/ hardware & rigging") & boom ("w/ hardware") which comes to $1620.

CCSB's published DS price list has a racing mast (tapered keel stepped) $1538 and boom (standard $490, or racing $695) which comes to $2028 or $2233...

I know that I am going to need other hardware, rigging as well and after seeing the initial pricing :shock: have not spent the time to talk to either to determine comparability of their offers nor extra expenditure needed $$... just more than I want to spend right now on a mast & boom. Have not looked at Dwyer but I will. That kind of money spent now might be better spent on a trailer replacement which is also 26 years old and somewhat "marginal" (looked at a new tailer this week ~$1600).

After seeing these prices for new equipment, and a couple of inexpensive recent DS1 for sale nearby (good time of year to be looking for people getting rid of their boats) is the reason I asked about DS1 mast interchangeability.

My hull is good, center board & rudder good, upgraded 1/8 stays good, sails are fine; so have been thinking maybe there is a boat / trailer combo out there for sale which may allow me to get a better mast & boom, and a maybe better trailer for a lot less money than new equipment. The solution may not be good as new equipment, but combining equipment it maybe a better boat / trailer combo than what I have now...at a lower cost. It could all be wishful thinking on my part...

GL - is the standard DS1 mast measurement 24' 7" ? Is the measurement taken include any "bottom casting" or just the mast portion at the bottom.. up to the and including the mast head sheave or below the mast head?
Rob

DS1 #2444
Cape Cod
Eastham, MA
RobH912

Postby GreenLake » Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:59 pm

I just took a rough overall measurement of mine, which would be for a '63 DS1 (with mast jack). It's 24' 7 1/2" including the bottom casting but not the top (which adds 2" above the end of the sail track).

I think your "mix&match" strategy is very sound. I've not done it myself, but in my local circle of friends that's a common thing (with different types of dinghies, not specifically the DS). Many of them sail FrankenBoats that are mashed together from the best bits of various used and/or abused boats (usually of the same class).
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby RobH912 » Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:33 pm

So how would I know if a mast being sold as a Proctor mast & boom is actually a Proctor?

Are they marked, have a name plate, serial #, etc. ?
Rob

DS1 #2444
Cape Cod
Eastham, MA
RobH912

Postby GreenLake » Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:37 pm

Don't know. My mast is not labeled anywhere.

Anyone?
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby jalmeida51 » Thu Sep 26, 2019 8:42 am

My mast has no data at all. You might have to take the sellers word.
jalmeida51

Postby Bob Damon » Thu Sep 26, 2019 2:25 pm

The Proctor, now Selden, has a taper in the upper 6 feet of the mast. There are often labels but on older ones they used a metal plate.
Bob Damon
Class Measurer

Postby RobH912 » Sat Sep 28, 2019 4:48 pm

Bob - Thanks for the reply and info on looking for the taper on the mast... makes it more bendy for sail adjustment

I also had heard from another DS sailor about the plate that may appear on the front of the mast, visible above the caddy when stepped. He also told me he thought that the old Proctor’s were gold anodized and the newer Seldens have an aluminum color finish... all tapered.
Rob

DS1 #2444
Cape Cod
Eastham, MA
RobH912

Return to Rigging