new boat, vang troubles - solved! Lazy Jack

Moderator: GreenLake

new boat, vang troubles - solved! Lazy Jack

Postby sailpete » Tue Jun 09, 2020 4:50 pm

My wife and I bought an '89 O'Day Daysailer 3 as a first sailboat. We did not get a chance to see it rigged up before we brought it home, so there has been quite a learning curve with the rigging. With a lot of videos and a bit of trial and error, we've got the jib and the mainsail up and rigged. However, we do have two issues:

1. There doesn't seem to be a traveller. All the boats we see online seem to have one.
2. We cannot figure out how to rig up the boom vang. It's a complicated mess of line and blocks.

We have two pieces of rigging like this. It has blue line with a block on one end and a plastic clip on the other. It has thicker white line with a block on the end that the blue line is running through.

Every boom vang we see online has an attachment or block at the base of the mast. Here's what we have:

Likewise, every boom vang we see online has an attachment hanging off the bottom of the boom. Where we think it should go, we have attachments on the sides of the boom:

Any advice or input would be greatly appreciated.

Apologies for the size of the images, I could not figure out how to resize them.
Last edited by sailpete on Wed Jun 10, 2020 8:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
sailpete

Re: new boat, vang troubles

Postby GreenLake » Tue Jun 09, 2020 6:21 pm

Welcome to the forum.

What you show does not look like a vang.

Neither boom nor mast has any strong points to connect a vang too (and those connections need to be strong).

The various eyes on your boom may, I say may, have been for a lazy jack setup. Look that one up online, simplify it in your mind and see whether some of the lines would fit that purpose (would require some fittings up on the mast). There would be two sets, one for each side of the sail (In my view, you can live w/o that, so if it is, you're OK to sail w/o until you decide otherwise).

Traveler. If you have a center sheeted main, there wouldn't necessarily be a traveler. (Yours is almost visible in one of your pictures and looks like it might be center sheeted). You can definitely sail with it as is, sail control may not be as versatile as with a traveler, but I'm wondering whether that wasn't in keeping with a DS3 (which for various reasons is not "class legal" for racing).
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Re: new boat, vang troubles

Postby sailpete » Wed Jun 10, 2020 8:31 am

GreenLake - THANK YOU SO MUCH!

This explains why what I was seeing on my boat just didn't quite match up. I was going crazy trying to figure out a way to make it work. Lazy Jack really seems to fit what's going on with the boom.

You've put us on the water.
sailpete

Re: new boat, vang troubles - solved! Lazy Jack

Postby GreenLake » Wed Jun 10, 2020 2:10 pm

Well, glad to hear it. Enjoy your boat, and come back if/when you're ready to make improvements or have questions on sailing technique (or seamanship as the forum section is called).
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Return to Rigging