Dyneema (Synthetic Rigging) Shroud?

Moderator: GreenLake

Dyneema (Synthetic Rigging) Shroud?

Postby Anstigmat » Wed Nov 04, 2020 5:35 pm

Has anyone used dyneema for their shroud? I've seen this done on much larger boats, seems like it would be easy on a DS1?
Anstigmat

Re: Dyneema (Synthetic Rigging) Shroud?

Postby GreenLake » Wed Nov 04, 2020 8:13 pm

Dyneema exhibits creep. Especially when first tensioned.

Now, I have a mast jack on my DS1, so in principle, I set the tension each time I raise the mast, however, if there's creep while out on the water it would be awkward having to adjust (although, not impossible, except perhaps in a race or when single handed). For bigger boats, the tension on the rig is constant, for trailered boats, you unload the shrouds when trailering. Will they stay stretched, or do you get the creep coming back?

How easy is it to construct shrouds of equal length? (And that maintain equal length after the initial creep has worked itself out of the system). If easy, then you can use them with a mast jack (which cannot adjust lateral tension, only overall), if not, you may have to have turnbuckles (so you can adjust each side by itself). Or a set of turnbuckles of different length, it the expected creep exceeds the range for the initial set.

All sorts of things to consider. Synthetic rigging isn't class legal, so no racing your boat - but that may not be your concern. The main advantages would be reduced weight aloft and less corrosion. The main downside is that you'd have to figure out how to put this together as there are no ready-made Dyneema shrouds.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby Anstigmat » Thu Nov 05, 2020 10:09 am

It would be something like a novelty rigging, I know. Mine is not a racing DS1, it's a pleasure craft and so looks are part of the fun. When I've seen it done on larger boats they use these interesting lashing systems that remind me of old style sailing ships. It's a cool look!

However, I'm likely going to go with standard steel rigging. The idea of my butterfingers doing a beautiful lashing job is...far fetched.
Anstigmat

Postby GreenLake » Thu Nov 05, 2020 2:53 pm

I've seen some of the discussion on the web for these things and as far as I understand it the desire for lashings is primarily to remove more stainless steel parts from the rigging; turnbuckles would have worked fine. On a DS1 with a mast jack, lashings could be used to make sure that port and starboard shroud end up with equal tension, by adjusting for any differences in length/creep. Unlike on a big boat, the lashings would not be needed to create the tension.

If your DS1 does not have a mast jack, lashings are completely out, because you would have to tie and tension them every time you raised the mast. (Lashings use a stainless steel toggle to connect to the chain plates so you wouldn't need to untie them completely to disconnect the stays, but you'd need some way to loosen them - that all goes in the wrong direction, because the goal is to cut setup time when trailering, not add to it).
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby Anstigmat » Thu Nov 05, 2020 9:46 pm

Yeah I see what you're saying. Probably not a good fit for the DS! I was thinking sails would be less likely to chafe on the Dyneema but who knows actually?

I will be rigging mine the usual way this Saturday as I rebuild my DS1. That's when my Proctor is supposed to be delivered.
Anstigmat

Postby GreenLake » Fri Nov 06, 2020 12:01 am

I've never had issues with sails chafing. The critical points are the spreader ends, you'll want to use Rigging tape (the self-amalgamating stuff) on them, or rubber boots.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby tomodda » Fri Nov 06, 2020 8:19 am

How are you getting your mast delivered? Every time I fantasize about a new mast, the shipping costs put me off....
tomodda

Postby Anstigmat » Fri Nov 06, 2020 10:38 am

I bought it from a local dealer of 2nd hand marine stuff. He is delivering it using his truck for a small fee since he is local. I could have trailered down there with my DS1 but my trailer's lights don't work. I use it only to launch the boat in the Spring and pick it up in the Fall, all in our tiny little island community, so very little risk here. It's a bridge connected island so not that crazy.

Supposedly he's bringing the mast by Saturday and we're going to do the modifications and rigging I need to do to get up and running.
Anstigmat

Postby tomodda » Fri Nov 06, 2020 3:04 pm

Oh yes, you're up on Sebascodegan Island, IIRC. Good luck with the new mast, please let us know how it goes. I, for one, am very interested in the whole process of mast swapping, as you noted the standing rigging will be key.

Tom
tomodda

Return to Rigging