Reefing Hook

Moderator: GreenLake

Reefing Hook

Postby TRWXXA » Mon Mar 08, 2021 4:43 pm

Does anybody have pics on how to install the reefing hook from D&R? No instructions, and it doesn't seem to fit anywhere on the gooseneck.

Thanks.
Chris S.
DSII #10220 -- "Uisge Beatha"
TRWXXA

Re: Reefing Hook

Postby GreenLake » Mon Mar 08, 2021 5:59 pm

You could contact Rudy at D&R and I'm sure he would advise.

Not all goosenecks are the same. What does yours look like?
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby TRWXXA » Mon Mar 08, 2021 7:15 pm

GreenLake wrote:Not all goosenecks are the same. What does yours look like?

Exaclty like this.

The hook came with a captive pin through the shackle part of the hook, and a bolt with nylock nut (not shown on the D&R site). It doesn't seem to fit anywhere on the goosneck assembly.
Chris S.
TRWXXA

Postby GreenLake » Mon Mar 08, 2021 7:22 pm

That's a poser. I would ask Rudy. (Goosneck matches what I have, and I don't have a reef hook).
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby jalmeida51 » Mon Mar 08, 2021 10:04 pm

If you remove the vertical clevis pin, this will separate the goose neck from the slider for the boom downhaul. Install the reefing hook with the vertical clevis pin. reassemble the goose neck to the down haul slide. Install new cotter pin. The picture is upside down which may have confused you. I have never used the bracket with the disconnect pin. I have always used the pin on the goose neck to attach the tack of the mainsail. Really don't know what the bracket is used for other than the hook is welded to it.

John
jalmeida51

Postby TRWXXA » Mon Mar 08, 2021 10:57 pm

jalmeida51 wrote:If you remove the vertical clevis pin, this will separate the goose neck from the slider for the boom downhaul. Install the reefing hook with the vertical clevis pin. reassemble the goose neck to the down haul slide. Install new cotter pin. The picture is upside down which may have confused you. I have never used the bracket with the disconnect pin. I have always used the pin on the goose neck to attach the tack of the mainsail. Really don't know what the bracket is used for other than the hook is welded to it.

John

It's D&R's pic. I knew it was upside down, but had no way to flip it. :wink:

Your description makes the most sense, John. I'll look at that vertical clevis pin. I'm just not sure it's long enough to add the hook bracket (it's pretty thick), and the vertical load on the hook would put a lot of shear on the cotter pin. Could it be that's what the bolt it for? Maybe it's time to experiment.
Chris S.
TRWXXA

Postby GreenLake » Tue Mar 09, 2021 4:27 am

So, I'm getting the suggestion to use the pin to replace one of the two pins on the gooseneck. I'm not sure about the "vertical" designation. To me that reads like the pin parallel to the mast, where it should probably be the pin at right angles to the mast? And you'd use the pin from the bracket for the hook, because that is longer. Loads would be on shear on the pin, which is what you want. There should be no shear on any of the cotter pins (those are the ones that look like hairpins). They secure the load bearing pins. Those I've always heard called "clevis pins".

I've tried flipping the various images to where I can line them up. Note that the image of reefhook itself had to be flipped, so to get the hook to work like this may mean it's on the other side of the boom?

Or did I miss something?
Reefhook.jpg
Attempt to show possible line-up (may be mirror image)
Reefhook.jpg (14.19 KiB) Viewed 8938 times
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby jalmeida51 » Tue Mar 09, 2021 10:45 am

Thanks G.L. for getting the picture rotated. The picture shows the clevis pin partway pulled up. That is the pin you remove and attach to the base of the reefing hook and reassemble the gooseneck to the sliding member( boom downhaul ). You can put the hook on either side. The clevis pin is long enough. I don't know about the bolt and nut. My reefing hook never came with one. The quick disconnect pin on the bracket? I just removed it. What the purpose of it I don't know?

John
jalmeida51

Postby TRWXXA » Tue Mar 09, 2021 10:24 pm

So let me see..

GL, you're suggesting that I remove the horizontal clevis pin (red arrow), and replace it with the long ball lock pin on the hook bracket.

John, your suggestion is to remove the vertical clevis pin (blue arrow), and put it through the hole in the bottom of the hook bracket, and back in place, securing it with a new cotter pin.

Did I get that right?

I looked at the vertical clevis pin on my gooseneck, and it is definitely not as long as the one in the photo. It has no extra length for the bracket. However, the bolt supplied is the same diameter as the clevis pin, even though I initially thought it was larger. That's why I'm guessing it's supposed to replace the clevis pin. Also because the upward load on the clevis would put the cotter pin for it under a large shear load.
Attachments
10511.jpg
10511.jpg (26.29 KiB) Viewed 8918 times
Chris S.
TRWXXA

Postby GreenLake » Tue Mar 09, 2021 10:32 pm

Right, if replacing the vertical pin (blue arrow) you don't want to rely on the cotter pin; the loads on the reef hook would be substantial.

(I take it that the bottom of the "U" bracket has a hole - not visible in the photo, and therefore confusing).
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby jalmeida51 » Wed Mar 10, 2021 9:59 am

Chris, I guess that is why your hook came with a bolt and nut to replace the vertical clevis pin being too short. ( blue arrow ) My gooseneck vertical pin was long enough to use with the reefing bracket. My vertical pin has a washer with a 3/32 cotter pin to secure it to the gooseneck. I have used it for over 3 years and haven't had a problem with shear load. I do agree with You and G.L. a bolt and lock nut would be better than the clevis pin.

The only problem I had using the hook was getting the hook through the reefing cringle. My sails are new. I solved this problem by having a sailmaker install a d ring on webbing through the reefing cringle.

John
jalmeida51

Postby GreenLake » Wed Mar 10, 2021 2:17 pm

Newer sail fabric can be inherently more stiff than that used in older sails. So the webbing strap is a great solution.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby TRWXXA » Wed Mar 10, 2021 8:19 pm

My sails are brand new also. They're almost too stiff to fold. The D-ring is really a good idea. I wish the bracket had a hook on each side. Then a loop of line or webbing through the cringle could be easily and quickly secured on each side. I'll think of something.
Chris S.
TRWXXA

Postby jalmeida51 » Wed Mar 10, 2021 9:29 pm

Before I had the D ring installed, I made a small loop out 1/4 sta- set line. Ran it through the reef cringle and tied the ends with a square knot. It worked real well just as well as the D ring. It just looked a little odd. If I didn't have a sailmaker close by I would still be using the loop.
jalmeida51

Postby Newbflat » Thu Jul 21, 2022 6:52 pm

I’m working on this myself and I’m wondering if you can kill two birds with one stone here. In a previous boat I had I used the cunningham as intended and as a reefing down haul/tackle. Just use a hook on the cunningham for the grommet instead of being permanently lead through the grommet . When it’s time to reef you unhook the cunningham and hook it into the reefing grommet. Release the main halyard and pull on the cunningham until you reach a predetermined mark, sheet off the halyard and tighten the cunningham now use the reefing tackle/ cunningham for the desired luff tension. This does away with the hook on the gooseneck and you have much more controls of the luff tension without struggling with the main halyard to tighten the luff.
Newbflat

Next

Return to Rigging