Reefing the main sail

Moderator: GreenLake

Re: Reefing the main sail

Postby tomodda » Wed Apr 21, 2021 2:30 pm

And do you feel that a mere 20 lbs made that much difference? Obviously, you get some leverage, but still it's not much weight. I sometimes fantasize about a weighted board but then think that a board that's heavy enough to hold the boat down will be too heavy for the hinge system and the cb trunk. Not to mention the added forces going up the stays, etc.
tomodda

Postby jalmeida51 » Wed Apr 21, 2021 3:00 pm

Tom,

The extra 20lbs. helps a little but I wouldn't replace the c/b just for that. My old c/b was was badly worn in the square hole and the square peg on the handle was badly worn. With the extra 20lbs. it was a bear to retract the c/b with the handle. I rigged up a 3 to 1 purchase from the handle to the mast compression post. It works great now plus I can put the c/b in any position and it stays. Not sure how much more weight built into the c/b the handle can handle without bending?

John
jalmeida51

Postby tomodda » Wed Apr 21, 2021 6:49 pm

John, thank you for your answers. Searching this forum a bit, seems that the question of weighted CB has been chewed on quite a bit in the past (2003 had a lengthy discussion). Conclusion being much the same - once you get the board up to weights that affect the righting moment, you run into significant trade-offs and penalties. Like the board dropping back into the slot if you DO capsize, for instance. Best to sail the boat as designed and be prudent - never cleat the mainsheet in any larger breeze.

Yesterday's roll-tack incident is the closest I've yet come to capsizing the DS. It was quite manageable, if a bit hair-raising. It happened relatively fast and instinct took over to save me. She was actually pretty well behaved "on her ear," but definitely another few degrees heel and I'd have been over. So, good terminal stability, up to a point, quite like capsizing a Hobie Cat... a wide boat that really doesn't want to flip till she reaches point of no return. As opposed to capsizing a Laser or windsurfer, for instance, that will flip suddenly if you so much as look at them funny. Anyway, just to say the DS is fine as-is. Love having a reef point though! Not 100% needed but nice to have. :)
tomodda

Postby Fly4rfun » Tue Apr 27, 2021 11:05 pm

John, how was it done adding the extra weight? and you say you can't raise the centerboard with the handle with the extra weight, any noticeable sailing characteristics?
G.
"Sail Aweigh" 1966 DS1 #2675
Fly4rfun

Postby Fly4rfun » Tue Apr 27, 2021 11:23 pm

another question, if I may. where does one know where to put the reef hole? in distance not % so 30% would be in inches.
Fly4rfun

Postby jalmeida51 » Wed Apr 28, 2021 10:29 am

The reef cringles at 30% were put in when the new sail was made. Usually the cringles are put in at 20% and some people put a set at 40%. My old sail had reef points at 20 and 40. I felt 20% wasn't enough but 40 % was too much for the area I sail in. Schurr Sails suggested 30% and it has worked out well. You might have already have a 20% . I know my old original sails that came with the boat had a set of 20%. Maybe in the area you sail in 20% might be enough reduction in sail area? I don't know how a sailmaker figures where the reef points other than the % of the sail area. I am sure if you watch U Tube there is a video on how to install reef points. I know down here in S.W. Florida a sailmaker will charge about $200.00 to put in a second set of reef points.
jalmeida51

Postby jalmeida51 » Wed Apr 28, 2021 10:48 am

I bought the new c/b from D&R Marine ( Rudy ) Who ever builds the c/b for him they added the extra weight. It gives me extra ballast and I have found out every bit helps. I did add the 3 to 1 purchase the help me raise the c/b due to I am not that strong in my arms.
jalmeida51

Postby GreenLake » Wed Apr 28, 2021 1:39 pm

You can't put a reef point directly at a batten location, you have to go either above or below.
On this picture you see how the reefpoint is put in to clear the first batten (including giving the tip of the batten room above the boom). I was quoted "18%" if I remember that correctly. But you can work that out from any sail diagram for the DS that shows the batten locations.

Best choice for locations depends on your expected wind conditions. If I was to kit out a DS for the Texas 200, I would put a third reef in, leaving just a bit of main for days when you are out and it goes totally crazy on you.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby Fly4rfun » Wed Apr 28, 2021 1:54 pm

GL, so you let the sail droop below the reef point?
Fly4rfun

Postby GreenLake » Wed Apr 28, 2021 2:23 pm

???
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby Fly4rfun » Wed Apr 28, 2021 7:39 pm

looking at the photo it looks like the sail sags below the boom.
Fly4rfun

Postby jalmeida51 » Wed Apr 28, 2021 11:40 pm

You reef your mainsail by using the luff and leech cringles. The smaller cringles between the luff and leech cringles ( large cringles ) are used to tie up the excess sail area that might block your vision. Some people might install reef ties that are installed through the small cringles to tie up the sail. I don't use reef ties I tuck the sail or sometimes I just let the excess hang as long as it doesn't block my vision. I have found that the boom is high enough that you don't need to use the reef ties. It looks to me G.L. tucks the excess sail and still has plenty of vision under the boom. Hope this answers your question about the sagging sail under the boom. John
jalmeida51

Postby GreenLake » Thu Apr 29, 2021 1:47 am

Thanks, John, that's precisely it.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby Fly4rfun » Thu Apr 29, 2021 2:59 am

thanks John, thats what i thought. i don't have any reef cringles on this sail. next year maybe
Fly4rfun

Previous

Return to Rigging