Proctor Mast Setup

Moderator: GreenLake

Proctor Mast Setup

Postby mpillsb » Sun Apr 25, 2021 3:07 pm

I'm looking fo radvice on how to set up the halyards on a tapered Proctor mast. It's a replacement for a broken oval cruising mast. I'm wondering if anyone in Eastern New England might have one I could look at. I'm in the Boston area, but don't mind traveling.
mpillsb

Re: Proctor Mast Setup

Postby tomodda » Sun Apr 25, 2021 4:10 pm

Not understanding the confusion here? Do you mean internal halyards? Otherwise, it's pretty straightforward, regardless of mast type.
tomodda

Postby mpillsb » Mon Apr 26, 2021 8:46 am

Yes, the internal halyards. It appears there are multiple channels inside the mast.
mpillsb

Postby tomodda » Mon Apr 26, 2021 11:28 am

See if this forum thread helps:

https://forum.daysailer.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=6142

It appears that all the Proctor masts were a bit different, no standard, so you'd going to have to figure it out. Generally, the topmost sheave is the main halyard (should be obvious), and the outlet sheave right under the forestay is the jib halyard. Spinnaker sheaves all depend, but the standard is for both the spin halyard to be a few inches above the forestay and for the topping lift (if there it's moveable at all) to have a pulley somewhere around the hounds (spreader). Where it all comes out is up to you, there may be halyard exits at the base of the mast and/or at cuddy roof height.

If you have to put in new exit plates, consider that you may want to route line UNDER the cuddy, but at roof height.. right below the roof, leading to the aft "lip" of the cuddy. Also, I'm a big fan of Racelite hardware:

http://www.racelitehardware.com/stainless-hardware/exit-plates-and-fairleaders/ (shameless plug, no I don't work for them, just like their stuff).

Good luck!

Tom
tomodda

Postby mpillsb » Tue May 11, 2021 3:24 pm

Tom, thanks for posting the photos. They've sparked some ideas.
mpillsb

Return to Rigging