Where to attach furling job?

Moderator: GreenLake

Where to attach furling job?

Postby VTDS2 » Fri Jul 30, 2021 5:52 pm

I bought my ds 2 this week and am hoping to take it out for the first time tomorrow.
The boat came with both a standard and furling job, and I was hoping to set up the furling jib.
In the photo you can see the attachment at the top of the job. It doesn't seem reasonable to attach it where the fore stay is currently attached, and my impression was that I don't use the halyard, so the block here is null as well. Am I missing the correct attachment point, perhaps where those three holes are?
Thanks!
Photo too big to upload so linked here https://imgur.com/a/NV00JKO
VTDS2

Re: Where to attach furling job?

Postby jalmeida51 » Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:04 pm

The piece of hardware that is missing is called a mast tang and normally you connect the upper end of the forestay to it and the bottom of the forestay is connected to the stemhead on the bow of the boat. Your forestay is the luff wire, that is the wire that goes along the luff of the jib. You hoist the jib with the upper swivel with your jib halyard. Don't get rid of jib halyard block. There should be a furling drum at the bottom end of luff wire. You connect the drum to the stemhead. The furling drum should have a line in it so you can furl the jib. To unfurl the jib you pull one of the jib sheets. With this system you can only furl the jib, you can't use it to reef the jib.

If you can post some pictures of the of the drum (tack of the jib ) the stemhead maybe we can figure out how to run the furling line.

It might be a good idea to rig the furler with the boat on the trailer.

Best of Luck, John
jalmeida51

Postby GreenLake » Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:11 pm

The forestay being above the shrouds is a bit unusual. Possibly the furled jib was a bit too long. You are right, you replace the forestay with the jib (it has an internal rope or wire that takes over the job). There's no halyard. You would need a halyard if you wanted to hoist the standard jib.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby jalmeida51 » Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:34 pm

I just noticed the forestay has been moved up higher than the shrouds. I sailed an Apollo 16 and the only purpose of the forestay was to keep the mast up in a vertical position while you rigged the the Harken Furler. You connected the jib halyard to the upper swivel, and hoisted the jib. Then connected the furling drum to the stemhead To get the jib to furl properly there had to be a lot of tension on the halyard and to do this you used a Harken Magic Box. I owned this boat over 30 years ago. That's all I can remember about the system. Maybe this Daysailer has a different system?
jalmeida51

Postby VTDS2 » Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:40 pm

I found this short article (link below) which happens to be from the sailmaker who made the sail on my furler set up. Based on the brand names mentioned and my understanding of my rigging, it seems my furling jib set up falls into the "wire luff" category, and that therefore I should be hoisting my furled jib with the jib halyard. This seems to make sense to me, since I couldn't figure out how to connect the large spinning piece at the top of the furled jib to the existing mast tang (which is currently connected to the forestay). I'll give it a try while still on the trailer tomorrow before launching.
Thanks for the help!

https://vtsailing.com/understanding-rol ... g-systems/
VTDS2

Postby VTDS2 » Thu Aug 05, 2021 8:07 pm

An update after my first sail:
This particular furling jib set up is indeed intended to be raised via the jib halyard. Worked like a charm once I corrected some issues of wrap around the forestay that were my own doing.
VTDS2

Postby jalmeida51 » Thu Aug 05, 2021 9:19 pm

Just curious. How did you get enough tension on the jib halyard? Usually you need some type of hardware to increase the tension so the jib furls and unfurls. Some boats used a Harken Magic Box which you could increase tension 6 to 1.

John
jalmeida51

Postby GreenLake » Thu Aug 05, 2021 10:29 pm

Even on standard configuration jibs it's often not simple to get enough tension on the jib halyard.

I rigged a dead simple 2:1 system that so far has been sufficient to take the "scallops" out of my hanked-on jib's luff.

The line runs downward in the cleat for that, so I use a little trick: I use one hand to make the tail form a U and then instead of pulling on the line, I push down into the U with my other hand (using my weight as well). Even though the line is <2mm, I think I get about 50-100# of pull that way, or 100-200# of added tension.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby Abaird62 » Mon Oct 03, 2022 9:52 pm

I have the swivel for the top and Seashore above deck furler. I also have a harken Above deck furler. What do you have connecting the two? I see a lot of aluminum and pvc. I have heard of wire in the jib. pictures of the setup or describing the setup would help.
Abaird62

Return to Rigging