Replacing broken spreader

Moderator: GreenLake

Replacing broken spreader

Postby mnic001 » Wed Aug 18, 2021 11:29 am

Hey all,

I have a Daysailer clone (an Annapolis Discoverer). One of the spreaders recently broke at the hole while I was putting the boat back on its trailer :oops:. At least it was at the end of a week-long trip and not the beginning. The length and OD measurements matched the replacement sold by D&R Marine, so I ordered two and planned to go ahead and replace both.

Now that I have them in hand I realize that the hole in the spreader where it mounts to the spreader bracket is about an inch further outboard along the spreader than it is on my (non-O'Day) original spreader. This means I can't mount it as-is since the inboard end of the spreader would need to be, impossibly, inside the mast. As I see it, I have three options (two janky but free, one seemingly correct). Are 1 and 2 both terrible ideas?

1. Cut an inch off the spreader so it fits in the existing bracket. This would move the outboard end of the spreader, at the stays, an inch inboard. This would be simple, quick, and free, but having just skimmed the tuning guide for the first time I'm wondering if this would have a negative effect on the rig (or my ability to tune it). I don't have a sense of how bad this is.
2. Drill an additional hole in the spreader in the "correct" location for my spreader brackets. Slightly trickier. Free. The walls are super thick, but maybe this is asking for the spreaders to snap at the worst possible moment.
2. Purchase and install new spreader brackets. This is a tiny bit more money and time, plus extra holes in my mast I wasn't planning for. I'm leery of screwing up the attachment process.
mnic001

Re: Replacing broken spreader

Postby tomodda » Wed Aug 18, 2021 11:48 am

I'd go with 2. The spreaders, when you're sailing, are under compression. One extra hole won't hurt anything. Use a drill press if you have one, otherwise make a quick jig for yourself so you drill straight down. Measure 3 times, cut once :)
tomodda

Postby GreenLake » Wed Aug 18, 2021 1:32 pm

What Tom said. The load is pure compression and having an extra, unused hole doesn't matter.

Mine are of that configuration as well. The spreaders are fine when rigged, but they remain vulnerable due to the small distance between the pivot and the mast when you raise the mast. As long as you don't knock them during that process they are fine.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby mnic001 » Thu Aug 19, 2021 10:39 am

Thanks to you both! I'm glad I asked as I thought the hole made that option the worst of the three. One of these days I'll bite the bullet on a drill press...
mnic001

Postby tomodda » Thu Aug 19, 2021 3:13 pm

I love my HF tabletop drill press. It's their second cheapest (the cheapest one is trash, the table won't lock well). Has a rack and pinion to raise/lower the table and is $135ish. What makes it worth the money is attaching small sanding drums to it and conical burrs (your basic dremel type tools). Great for working on small parts, both wood and metal. And you can be quite precise, by simply clamping a quick-and-dirty jig to the table (like a piece of 1/4" plywood with a block glued on), to hold your angle. Oh, and it's great for drilling holes too. Anyway, use your imagination and you'll see a ton of possibilities. Don't think of it as a drill press, think of it as a stationary, variable-speed, adjustable spinning thingy, it's wonderful!

But since you don't have a DP, here's how to drill your holes. Screw two pieces of scrap 2by together at a right angle. Put this jig on your tabletop with some scrap to hold up the sides, like a V, and use clamps if you got 'em. Put the spreader tube in the notch of the V. If you wanna get fancy, drill holes in your jig and ziptie your spreader to the jig via the holes. Now take a heavy nail (or even better a center punch) and punch a divot where you want the hole to go (center of the tube), hit it with a hammer. You just need a little dent. Now put your drill up against the dent and use another piece of scrap to keep it at a right angle - lay the scrap alongside the drill bit. Start drilling slowly, then build up speed and punch thru both sides, down into your jig. The right angle piece of scrap is just to get you started in the right direction (ha!) you won't need it once you start biting in. And Google how to drill right angles, plenty of YouTube vids out there. Good luck!
tomodda

Postby mnic001 » Fri Aug 20, 2021 4:45 pm

Done! Thanks for the tips. I won't share a picture of my jig as it was not exactly photogenic.

If anyone's interested now or in the future, here are the spreaders after being modified. The original (not broken, but quite abused) is shown at right with a test hole. I eyeballed the distance from the end :shock: and had to file 1/16"-ish (~1.5mm) off one to let it pivot properly. Would that make an appreciable difference in handling the boat?

post-modification

installed

Hopefully I don't need to post an update about these for a long time!
mnic001

Postby GreenLake » Sat Aug 21, 2021 12:36 am

Losing a mm or two on the length is not something you'd notice. Sail away. (Be sure to baby these when raising your mast).
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby tomodda » Sat Aug 21, 2021 4:03 am

Looking good!

And jigs are meant to be ugly, as long as they work for the task at hand.
tomodda

Return to Rigging