Boom Support?

Moderator: GreenLake

Boom Support?

Postby Guest » Fri Jun 26, 1998 12:00 am

I was wondering what you DS sailors out there were using as a boom support when the mainsail has been dropped. I typically just let the boom rest on the floor of the cockpit. It sure would be nice to have a removable boom support to keep the mainsail drier (I use bungee cords to wrap the sail around the boom) and a little more out of my way.

I sailed with guys on Flying Scots that have these supports, and they're pretty convenient.

Is there an accessory I can get that would do this, or do you guys use homemade contraptions?

I have a DS2, FYI.

Mike Boone (boonedocks-at-kagi.com)

Postby Guest » Fri Jun 26, 1998 12:00 am

Two ideas come to mind. One is a ôboom crutchö, which is simply a ôYö shaped piece of wood that temporarily supports the boom when the main halyard is released. On the DS II, I would figure out how to clamp it, off-center (to keep it to one side), to the cuddy bulkhead. The second is to rig a ôtopping liftö (I prefer this). It is a line that is led from the top of the mast to the far end of the boom. Rig it long enough so it remains loose when the main is up and the main sheet is tight. It stays loose while sailing and will take the weight of the boom when the main is dropped. If you make the boom-end adjustable, the topping-lift can be raised above head-level when the main is down. A topping lift is necessary to support the boom while taking a reef.

John C (pf_flyer_1-at-yahoo.com)

Postby Guest » Sat Jun 27, 1998 12:00 am

Hey Mike. I have a big scisor shaped crutch that came with my boat. It is probably about 4 feet tall, and there is a pin through it maybe 6 inches from the top. It opens and closes for easier storage. There is a notch in the top that is cut to fit the boom. It is also rounded on the bottom a bit to fit into the gutters (for lack of a better term) that run along the back of my seats. There is also a line attached to one leg that is tied to the top of the boom to keep it from bouncing off. It works pretty well. It is varnished nicely so it looks pretty good too. It doesn't look too hard to make.

jpclowes (JPCLOWES-at-HOTMAIL.COM)

Postby Guest » Tue Jun 30, 1998 12:00 am

I would highly reccomend a topping lift. The other advantage of the topping lift is that you do not have to be perfectly headed into the wind to raise and lower sail; if you are closer than about 45 degrees to the wind, just release the mainsheet and the boom will swing.

Since we are on the subject of supports, I also want to mention that I would ALWAYS rig my DS by myself and used a mast crutch to help raise the mast. Basically, it is a wooden pole (2-3 ft long) with pintles that fits into the rudder gudgeons and has a Y-shaped fitting at the top with a roller. It supports the mast and permits one to walk the mast back from the trailering position.

Dave Bolton
Portland, Oregon
PWOADS (Presently WithOut A DS)

Dave Bolton (dbolton-at-oxmol.com)

Postby Guest » Wed Jul 01, 1998 12:00 am

My DS I came with a boom crutch that looks like origional equipment. Actually, is is a combination paddle and crutch. When used to support the boom, the paddle end fits into a slot in the floor boards, and a slotted metal plate in the side of the crutch fits over a screw head that protrudes from the back of the cockpit towrd the port side. A little pressure on the main sheet which is cleated, holds the boom down in the crutch. When not in use, it just lifts off the screw head and can be stowed out of the way.

Steve Max

Steve Max (75264.153-at-compuserve.com)

Postby Guest » Fri Jul 31, 1998 12:00 am

I have a 1974 ( I think) DSII and am not crazy about the Boom Crutch solution for boom support. The Top Lift or Boom Hoist option is much more interesting. My plan was to run a thin(but strong) nylon line from the end of the boom, over the top of the mast and cleat to the mast. Fellow DSers- please either stop me or suggest a better method. Is there a manufactured kit for this purpose? Thanks.

Gary Perlson (gperlson-at-somtel.com)

Postby Guest » Fri Jul 31, 1998 12:00 am

In my ever-ending effort to keep things simple, I use my spinnaker halyard as a topping lift when the main is down. This way, there are only three lines on the mast to worry about. The previous owner of my boat carved a notch out of the handle of one of the paddles to make a boom crutch. A slot was cut out of the floorboards (UGH!) for the blade to fit in, but it doesn't work all that well.

Eric Sunstrum (esunstru-at-sprint.ca)

Postby Guest » Mon Aug 03, 1998 12:00 am

Gary û Try 1/8ö braided Dacron line, it provides lower stretch and better UV performance than Nylon.

Has anyone tried to build a rigid ôboom vangö? This device would be installed beside the vang between the mast and boom. It would be a spring-loaded ôtube and pistonö thing to hold the boom up (when the main was lowered) and allow the needed range of motion when the main sheet is used tightened. Commercial devices, for larger boats, use spring-loaded, stainless steel tubes, IÆm thinking PVC pipe, six-inch spring, and a wooden dowel for our DSÆs. Another unique product uses a flexible fiberglass rod. Any DIYers out there?

John C

John C (pf_flyer_1-at-yahoo.com)

Postby Guest » Wed Aug 12, 1998 12:00 am

Another option is to rig the main halyard to the end of the boom. I do it all the time. I'm not sure whether this is an approved practice. It may put unnecessary strain on the rigging. But so far everything is is one piece. I like the idea of a separate topping lift. I may look into rigging one over the winter.

FrankS (fskewes-at-ebmail.gdeb.com)

Postby Guest » Tue Sep 29, 1998 12:00 am

I recently made a topping lift for my boat. I installed a bolt with a loop in it through the top of the mast from rear to front. I then tied a line to this bolt down to the end of the boom. I connected it with a small brass snap clip. I also placed the line used to raise the mainsail through the loop in the bolt. It works really nicely. I now bungee cord the main sail to the boom and everything is up out of the way while launching and motoring. If you need more informtion feel free to contact me.

George (george_rusho-at-nashintl.com)

Postby Bob Hunkins » Tue Sep 29, 1998 12:00 am

I use the main halyard as a topping lift, since the halyard is only needed when the mainsail's up. For the short period of time when my main's down and I don't want the boom scraping the deck, (for example when backing it into the water) I just put my throwable life preserver under the end of the boom.
I would not rig a dedicated topping lift, nor do anything that involves adding unecessary hardware. If your main halyard is too short to reach the end of the boom, get a spare piece of line and use it as an extension. Connect one end to the halyard, and the other end to the outhaul using bowline knots. Snug both halyard and/or outhaul and then snug the mainsheet and you're in business. No drilling, riveting, and no extra line to chafe your mainsail. It's cheap and easy and looks just as good as a topping lift.
Bob Hunkins
Site Admin

Return to Rigging