halyard splices

Moderator: GreenLake

halyard splices

Postby Guest » Mon Dec 09, 2002 1:43 pm

i've got double braided 1/4 inch line for halyards. i have spliced triple before and feel pretty comfortable with that. but i don't with double braid. should i add one of those end-rope clips or lean to splice this type of rope. how is your boat set up?

chad (gilliscmnr19-at-juno.com)

Postby Guest » Tue Dec 10, 2002 4:40 pm

I would think that splicing double-braid would be easier than tripple-braid (never heard of tripple-braid, do you mean 3-strand?) Anyway, I spliced the double-braid line for my halyards, it is not all that hard, when you buy the splicing tools (available same place where you bought line usually) there should be instructions for making splices. I simply followed the instructions and had very little trouble. In general, I find that my splices in double-braid tend to come out neater than the 3-strand splices that I have done. So, if I can do it, anyone can!

Rod Johnson, "SUNBIRD" (rjohnson24-at-juno.com)

Postby Guest » Tue Dec 10, 2002 4:48 pm

thanks. oh well. guess i should give it a try. i need a needle anyway.

Postby Bob Hunkins » Fri Dec 13, 2002 12:44 pm

The best instructions I've ever seen are in "Royce's Sailing Illustrated". He provides a 30+ step illustrated description of how to make an eye splice in double braid. You'll need the proper fids, and some practice, but it's a skill worth having.
Bob Hunkins
Site Admin

Postby Guest » Wed Dec 18, 2002 4:09 pm

it's hard. i couldn't get the taper part down. i did get the core out and everthing marked but i couldn't taper the outer piece. oh well. maybe it will work out next time, but i'm running out of practice rope.

Postby Bob Hunkins » Wed Dec 18, 2002 10:38 pm

To do the taper, just take a sharp pari of scissors and cut at at a shallow angle across the core or cover (depending on which part you're working with) don;t fiddle iwth it too much and let it fray - should work out better.

Go and get the cheapest 3/8" double braid you can and practice with it. It's worth the expense. - Think of it this way: When you go into West Marine, look at their docklines which are what, double(?) the price of the line if you bought it off the spool, and for what -just because they have all because they have that nifty eye splice in them. Then you'll be abel to laugh and say - Ah! I can do that myself ... It's the lubbers who buy that stuff! Keep trying; It's fun!
Bob Hunkins
Site Admin

Youtube video on splicing

Postby kellyima » Sun May 10, 2009 1:28 pm

I couldn't get the hang of splicing by looking at diagrams, so went to web. Following youtube video helped me to splice loops into my mooring lines. I recommend it to everyone - makes you feel very nautical and competent. It's easy too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r29A0tBM ... re=related
kellyima

Return to Rigging