traveller

Moderator: GreenLake

traveller

Postby Guest » Mon Dec 09, 2002 5:31 pm

Im wondering how to put a mid-boom traveller in. Where should i get parts and where do i install the darn thing. Any info would be great. Thaks

Maclean Potts (sailorboy-at-microsft.com)

Postby Guest » Tue Dec 10, 2002 4:35 pm

Contact D&R Marine (508) 644-3001 www.drmarine.com
Rudy Nickerson and Bob Cardoza are developing a mid-boom traveler for the Day Sailer that will sell for about $125 or so, plus the cost of the blocks. That is considerably less than what a traveller from other places will cost. D&R has a way to mount it to the seats using toggle bolts, and I suspect that if you would like to try this traveller...they would love to have someone test it out! So, I'd give them a call!

Rod Johnson, "SUNBIRD" (rjohnson24-at-juno.com)

Postby Bob Hunkins » Fri Dec 13, 2002 1:12 pm

You can also contact Layline or Annapolis Performance Sailing for parts. I use a Harken Traveller I installed myself, and have been happy with it. You'll have to install inspection ports in the seat tanks below where you choose to put the track so you can back the bolts up properly. You'll also need to place wedge-shaped shims, usually wooden - mahogony or teak probably is best, under the track since the seats are not flat, they are higher inboard. If the track you use is not structural, you'd have to support it properly. - I'll try take some photos this weekend and post them.

It's not a simple job, which is probably why a lot of people go with end boom travelers. But I've had good luck with mine, and haven't regretted installing it.
Bob Hunkins
Site Admin

Postby Bob Hunkins » Tue Dec 17, 2002 8:56 pm

I placed two photos of my traveller in the photos section, under a topic called mid-boom traveller. Hope it helps.
Bob Hunkins
Site Admin

Return to Rigging