Outhaul rigging

Moderator: GreenLake

Outhaul rigging

Postby Guest » Fri Jan 31, 2003 1:38 pm

I want to improve the outhaul. Can anyone recommend one system over another? What purchase? Inside the boom. Any good "how to" illustrations out there?

barry (bkelleher-at-sandiego.gov)

Postby Guest » Fri Jan 31, 2003 4:05 pm

Barry, I improved my outhaul by adding a couple of blocks, I think this would be the same as the "Block-action outhaul" that O'Day listed as an option on the Day Sailer. My outhaul is knotted through the inner of the two eyes on the outer end (top) of the boom, it then runs forward to a block that is shackled to the clew of the sail, then back through a cheek block on the boom, and finally forward to the original V-jam cleat on the boom. This set-up gives me pretty good adjustability of the outhaul. The one improvement that I might still make is to replace the original V-jam cleat with a clamcleat.

Rod Johnson, "SUNBIRD" (rjohnson24-at-juno.com)

Postby Guest » Sat Feb 01, 2003 7:38 pm

Barry, there's some drawings of internal outhauls at www.proctormasts.com. I configured my outhaul as per the drawings with good results.

Ed

Ed Hutchinson (edhutchinson-at-worldnet.att.com)

Postby Guest » Thu Feb 06, 2003 5:58 pm

Thanks! I was thinking of an inside the boom arrangement. I didn't even think of mounting the blocks inside the forward end of the boom! The diagrams on the Proctor site are very helpful. I'll use some spectra and micro blocks. What kind of purchace? 4:1, 6:1? (75deg. and sunny with a nice breeze here ...HA-HA) I just had to add that.

Barry (bkelleher-at-sandiego.gov)

Return to Rigging