setup/rigging manual for late 60's DS1

Moderator: GreenLake

setup/rigging manual for late 60's DS1

Postby Guest » Fri May 30, 2003 11:10 pm

Hi to all in this discussion group. Today I became the proud owner of a DS1. I got it in Lake Tahoe NV, It had been sitting there for years w/cover and full of water. I will be getting the sails for it next week. Wondering what the sail number is. Anyway it is my plan to bring this boat back to near new shape again. I was hoping that someone might have the original rigging and setup manual. I need to start ordering parts. Also there is a 2nd set of spreader bars below the main ones that I have no idea of what they are used for. Any help that the group can offer would be great. Thank you in advance for your help. Sincerely Rick

Rick Klimovich (w7toc-at-sbcglobal.net)

Postby Guest » Sun Jun 01, 2003 7:39 am

I have seen older Day Sailers with a second set of spreaders ABOVE the regular ones, these are actually located just above or at the forestay tang and are angled forward. They are called "Jumper-Struts" and the stays running over them are "jumper-stays". They are used to stiffen the upper part of the mast and control mast bend. They were eliminated on later Day Sailers.
For a rigging guide, you might be able to find something through the Day Sailer Association, most of the racing boats are the DS I. I have a DS II Manual, (and am working on a DS I manual) but that won't really help enough. This list is also a pretty good source for rigging answers.
The Sail# (or Class#) should be on a metal plate affixed to the inside of the boat, it will list a Hull# and the Class#. The Hull# refers to total O'Day boats built, Class# refers to number of Day Sailers.

Rod Johnson, "SUNBIRD" (rjohnson24-at-juno.com)

Postby obiewan » Sun Oct 21, 2007 10:54 pm

I am the new owner of an older DS1 with the jumper struts. The problem is that one is broken that I can identify and the other has no way to attach the "diamond wire" like the stays have the 1/2" notch. Does anyone jnow what that end looks like and how it attaches to teh wire? Thanks.
obiewan

Postby jpclowes » Tue Oct 23, 2007 4:32 am

The jumper struts are not needed. Actually you are probably better off without them. Sailing without them allows the mast to bend more, making the boat more forgiving in a puff. The regular stays, that connect to the chain plates and pass through the regular spreaders, are sufficient to hold up the mast.

If you insist on putting them on, there is a tang on the mast that bends outward, slightly, just like the ones that connect the stays to the mast, but "opening" upward. The stay (if I remember correctly)has a fork like attachment that went on both sides of the tang, with a hole in the middle for a clevis pin.
J .P. Clowes
Eastern Great Lakes Regional V.P.
DSI 14083
jpclowes

DS I Manual

Postby sunapeesailor » Tue Oct 23, 2007 6:32 pm

I have a copy of the O'Day DS I Manual...trying to figure out if I can upload it as a PDF...send me an e-mail and I'll send it along

sunapeeseller@yahoo.com (not sailor, I know, I know...)

Thanks[/img]
"If you make no time for yourself, who then, are you making time for?"

Tidewater, VA
1971, 'er, 1966 O'Day DaySailer 1
sunapeesailor

Postby calden » Tue Oct 23, 2007 7:45 pm

I've got a DSI manual in PDF form and can send it if Bob can't do it.

Carlos
DS I #1653
calden

old thread

Postby adam aunins » Tue Oct 23, 2007 9:19 pm

I don't know but this might be a record for oldest thread coming back to life :lol:
adam aunins

Daysailer 1 Manual

Postby rsdtr1600 » Fri Apr 04, 2008 7:02 am

Any chance I could get a copy of that DS 1 manual?

Thanks in advance

Steve
rsdtr1600

Re: Daysailer 1 Manual

Postby algonquin » Fri Apr 04, 2008 3:30 pm

rsdtr1600 wrote:Any chance I could get a copy of that DS 1 manual?

Thanks in advance

Steve

Hi Steve, You can download the manual by going to the top of this page and clicking on "Technical Info". Lots of good stuff there. Also you can look at some DS articles under the forum header "miscellaneous". There is a sticky at the top of that page. Hope this helps. Brad
"Feather" DS1 #818
algonquin

Return to Rigging