rudder/centerboard

Moderator: GreenLake

rudder/centerboard

Postby Guest » Mon Sep 01, 2003 1:01 pm

A couple of questions:

I have a rudder that has a "kick-up" feature. It has a tendency to rise as the boat gains speed, but there is no part of the rudder that is designed to keep the rudder at it's full down position. Aside from tightening the pivot bolt, is this set up suppost to have a pin or somthing to secure it in the full down position?

Also I am a little confused about the centerboard operation. The device is controled by a lever which (I suppose) allows the user to select what depth the centerboard is set at. When I purchased the boat the fella set the centerboard at about a "middle" position (which was then secured by a small line which attached to the board between the trunk and the seat. Yesterday we had the centerboard at the full down position and the boat tended to dtrift sideways as if the devise was failing to do it's job. As I thought stability would be at a greater degree, and the "drift" occured, I am confused as to the proper setting(s).

All help greatly appreciated,

P.Mitchell

Paul Mitchell (theluke816-at-earthlink.net)

Postby Guest » Mon Sep 01, 2003 5:20 pm

Mark,

Tightening the bolt is good. Get it tight enough so you can just move it when reaching over the back of the boat to raise or lower it. Add a downhaul line when you can.

The center board will reduce sideslip when it's down. Put it all the way down when going upwind. Half up to all the way up for reaching or running is generally correct. With two people on board in a 8-10 breeze. heel the boat hard and then put your head out over the top rail and look at it. Is the board going down all the way? It should be perpendicular to the hull.

Jeff

Jeff (jsmithhouse-at-core.com)

Postby Roger » Mon Sep 01, 2003 8:52 pm

I wouldn't put a pin in it unless it was a softwood like balsa that would crush and allow the board to rise if you hit an underwater object or approaced shore without first pulling the plug out. I have actually heard of this technique used on the centerboard of Siren sailboats which are known to turtle when the board swings back in to the centerboard trunk on a capsize/knockdown. The pin prevents it from swinging back in and has the added advantage of keeping the centerboard out, providing for a lever on which the crew can step to counterbalance the moment and facilitate righting.

For the rudder, I would try tightening the pivot bolt first. If that doesn't do the trick, try removing the blade part of the rudder, adding a coat of paint (to thicken the rudder slightly) then roughen it with coarse sandpaper (to increase friction). Tightening the pivot bolt should then hold it. I did this to mine with good success, but added an uphaul to make it a bit easier to get the board up, and stay up.
Roger

Postby Guest » Tue Sep 02, 2003 3:38 pm

My rudder has a downhaul line attached to the front of the rudder blade with a line leading up to a jam
cleat on the underside of the tiller. Just remember to uncleat it before pulling it out on to the trailer.
Check the centerboard when it's on the trailer: is there debris or dryed up weeds/sticks up in the
centerboard trunk? This may keep the board from 'dropping' all the way. Keep the trunk clear on a
regular basis for this reason. For safety's sake sail with the board down most of the time. Running into
weeds or mud at the slow speed of this boat won't really do any damage, stay away from rocks however!

Pete Tenerowicz (peteten-at-hotmail.com)

Return to Rigging