Jib car and rail location on '81 DS1?????

Moderator: GreenLake

Jib car and rail location on '81 DS1?????

Postby Guest » Wed Jan 14, 2004 1:05 am

Where is the factory location for the jib car and rail for the '81 DS1? On the combing, cuddy, or ?

Mike (olerb-at-csranet.com)

Postby Guest » Fri Jan 16, 2004 7:25 pm

Factory setting to the best of my knowledge is on the inside of the combing directly behind the cuddy cabin. The use of barber in haulers is not necessary for cruising but a necessity to point high when racing.

CC

Collin Casey (gybe-it-at-ev1.net)

Postby Guest » Fri Jan 16, 2004 7:32 pm

Please not the correct email address. gybe-it@houston.rr.com

CC

Collin Casey (gybe-it-at-houston.rr.com)

Postby Guest » Sat Jan 17, 2004 4:12 pm

'81 DS Jib car and rail location is shown in the photo section of this site.

It's on top of the cutty. My factory racing version has a jib car tracks to change the slot between the main and jib. I changed the jib cleat to down uncleating so the crew can control the jib while heeled and hiking.

Gus Heismann DS#11100 (gus-at-heismann.net)

Postby boone » Sun Jan 18, 2004 6:51 pm

The related photos are <a href="http://boonedocks.net/talkboard/talkboard.php3?mode=read&group=dspics&msgid=3852">here</a>.
boone
Site Admin

Postby Roger » Sun Jan 18, 2004 10:00 pm

Gus,

I was looking at the pictures of the jibcar location on your cuddy roof. Under what conditions would you trim the jib in and move your jibcar to the furthest inboard location? I would have thought that pinching so close would pinch the slot so much that it would backwind the luff of the main even in close hauled sailing.

I am actually very impressed with my DS II with the cars in the (I assume) factory location on the inside of the combing, and no traveller on a mid-boom sheeting system. In this configuration, I am able to sail 25 degrees off the wind, which I assumed was quite rspectable. I did try to move (manually) the boom just past center to windward to see what a traveller system would do, but is just stalled the boat. Tell me something I don't know about your configuration of the jib cars? Can you point closer than 25 degrees?

Roger
Roger

Postby Guest » Sun Jan 25, 2004 6:41 am

Gus
This is kind of off topic, but what are those pads on your rails made of, and how did you attach them? That looks like a good idea to prevent "Boat Butt."

J.P. Clowes (jpclowes-at-hotmail.com)

Postby Guest » Tue Jan 27, 2004 1:25 pm

Rail Pads
Half inch closed cell foam covered with vinyl cloth. Reinforced edges with nylon webing that holds the snaps

Gus Heismann (gus-at-heismann.net)

Postby Roger » Thu Jan 29, 2004 2:36 pm

Gus, with your jibcar location on your cuddy roof, and jib turning block in the furthest inboard location, can you point closer than 25 degrees off the wind? I am always trying to find ways to point closer into the wind.

Roger
Roger

Postby Guest » Mon Feb 02, 2004 11:13 am

Gus, with your jibcar location on your cuddy roof, and jib turning block in the furthest inboard location, can you point closer than 25 degrees off the wind?

No! If I close off the slot to much I just go sideways.

Gus Heismann (gus-at-heismann.net)

Postby Peter McMinn » Tue Feb 03, 2004 11:09 am

My boat has had the jib car system removed completely. The sheet run through a ratchet block and cam cleat on port and starboard deck just aft of the cuddy. This seems to be an improvement over the orginal design, which seemed to create an incorrectable baggy luff. With barber haulers, I have a fairly versitile slot, and exceptional pointability.

On the main, I have 15/1 reduction on the vang, which gives me a very controllable boom without a traveller.

I've found this to be a very competitive setup.
Peter McMinn

Postby Roger » Tue Feb 03, 2004 2:48 pm

Sounds like it might be an option for me to move my jib car to the deck rather than it's original position on the inside of the combing. In it's present location, it interferes with back rest support for the crew. How far from the gunwale and how far back from the cuddy is your ratchet block/turning block?
Roger

Postby Peter McMinn » Tue Feb 03, 2004 7:24 pm

I wish I had the technology to show you, but I'll try to paint the picture.

By "deck" I'm referring to the gunnel or "rail" as some refer to the flat section between the combing and rubrail.The Harken "Hexarachet" cheek block is mounted on a chunk of teak shaped to accept the angle of the jibsheet from the clew. The assmbly is mounted two inches aft of the upright cuddy wall along the inboard edge of the rubrail. The cam cleat is positioned along the outboard edge of the combing, which is trimmed flush to the gunnle.

I've located some other discussions on this site referring to jib cleating positions. Do a search for "mounting cam cleats" and "rigging jib sheets" and you'll find some other options, such as cleating on the CB trunk, which make sense for both heavy and light air.

Anyway, I really like the position of the block, as it allows for more conservative sheeting by way of barber in-haulers.
Peter McMinn

Postby Guest » Tue Feb 03, 2004 9:10 pm

The blocks should not be in your crews back because loyal crew will be sitting on top of the combing keeping there wheight aft in all but light air. In light air they will be leaning in or even on the low side.

Collin

Collin Casey (gybe-it-at-houston.rr.com)

Postby Roger » Wed Feb 04, 2004 1:02 am

I have to get them hooked on sailing before they become loyal, or I shant have any crew at all!! Right now I still have to coerce them into coming with me, by promising with cocktails... and cushies for their tushies... (such fair weather sailors)!

Argh, be gar! Pass the grog!!
Roger

Next

Return to Rigging