Singlehanded rigging

Moderator: GreenLake

Singlehanded rigging

Postby Guest » Mon Jan 19, 2004 10:09 am

I'm from Rio de Janeiro. Just bought a DS (I believe it's DS2). I'd like to rig it for singlehanding. You guys can give me some tips ? Diagrams, photos would be very helpful.
Since now I thanks.
Bons ventos,
Luiz Affonso

Luiz Affonso (delphosdivers-at-hotmail.com)

Postby Roger » Mon Jan 19, 2004 9:03 pm

I often sail my DS II with crew who are new to sailing, or single handed. The important part about rigging is to have the jib sheets and main sheet always in your forward hand and quickly be able to release them if the need arises. This leaves you with the rear hand to manage the tiller. Simple so far!

If your DS II is rigged like mine, the jib sheets cleat on top of the centerboard trunk at the front and require an upward pull to release, but the main sheet, which also is cleated on the centerboard trunk at the back requires a downward pull to release.

To get around this problem when single handing and having to release both sheets at the same time, I give a downward tug on the mainsheet, but kick the jib out of its cam cleat with my foot, thereby releasing both sheets at the same time. Alternatively, you can pull up with your hand to release the jib, then step on the main sheet with your foot to release it.

I have also attempted to lash a bungee cord from one side of the boat to the other, with a single wrap around the tiller to keep it steady, then have the main in one hand and the jib in the other, but have not found this to be a satisfactory system yet. The boat is too sensitive to trim as I move around it to have the heading maintained with a bungee cord.

I have thought about changing the cam cleat on the main sheet so that it also requires an upward tug to release, just like the jib sheet.

As for raising the sails, I typically motor out into an open area of water, and allow the motor to slowly move the boat ahead with the tiller amidships, keeping the boat headed into the wind. I lower and cleat the centerboard, then raise the main, but do not cleat the mainsheet. I then raise the jib, but do not cleat the jibsheet. This prevents the boat from starting to sail. (It does get a bit noisy with the sails flapping, and it is a bit unnerving). I then move to the back of the boat, and with the tiller head off the wind, shut off the motor, trim the jib and main. When I have a good trim, I cleat each of the sheets but keep them in my hand or on my knee loosely. That way, they are always ready to be released, even though my front hand may be doing something else, like getting a drink, adjusting the boom vang, adjusting the centerboard, getting my hat etc. A tiller extension also allows you to move to the front of the cockpit while still controlling the tiller.

This next season, I hope to install a jib roller, so that I do not have to go up on deck to set or douse the jib. I think that when standing on foredeck where the boat is the most narrow and both hands are occupied is the time that one is most likely to loose balance, or footing and fall in the water.

I have not yet determined a way to set the spinnaker single handed, although launching, I am sure it can be done with a properly rigged turtle. Dousing it would be a different story.

I also always trail a long floating line when sailing alone. If I do fall off, I have a chance of grabbing the line and swimming to the boat. Hopefully it is trimmed with some weather helm so that it heads up and stalls within a few boatlengths. I also have a boarding ladder that can be deployed from a position in the water. Always wear your PFD of course when single handing.

Hope this helps. I would appreciate hearing from anyone else regarding any further tips on single handed rigging.
Roger

Postby Guest » Tue Jan 20, 2004 12:35 pm

I occasionally fly my chute single handed on my DSI. The trick, I have discovered through trial and error, is to forget the pole. Just fly it using the sheet and guy. I don't do it in really gusty or shifty conditions, and I can only do it on a real broad reach, but it can be done. Just make sure that everything is hooked up before you go out. If you leave the jib up, it helps to depower the chute. It is also a few less things to worry about when you get ready to douse. Also, don't use carabeaners on the sheets. I used to and managed to hook one on the forestay. Getting that removed under way, single-handed was dicy.

J.P. Clowes (jpclowes-at-hotmail.com)

Return to Rigging