stepping the mast

Moderator: GreenLake

stepping the mast

Postby Guest » Fri Oct 02, 1998 12:00 am

I have been following the thread on stepping the mast. My DSIII is the pin type. No one has mentioned
losing these pins! I have yet to do it but thought that West Marine would be an obvious place for
finding back-ups, but no luck. Can anyone suggest a source? {I realise this might simply be routine
clevis pins, but a source for that would be good too}.

Also, I have no where to attach the line that keeps the rudder in the upright position. Where is the best place to make this attachment? It seems as if attaching it to the tiller would be affected by moving the
tiller up and down (e.g. when tacking or jibing or just shifting sides).

john wilson (jwils-at-soc.duke.edu)

Postby Guest » Mon Oct 05, 1998 12:00 am

John:

The plate you step your mast on is a tabernacle. It was most likley made by Dwyer Aluminum Mast Co. I have obtained replacement pins from them for a DSII and another one of my boats. There is a link to them on this site. I have found them to pleasant to do business with.

I'm sorry I don't understand the question about a line to hold the rudder in position.

Ed. H

Ed. Hutchinson (edhutchinson-at-worlnet.att.com)

Postby Guest » Sat Oct 10, 1998 12:00 am

John,
My '75 DSII's rudder has a cinching/pivot bolt that provides the pivoting point in the rudder and allows you to adjust the amount of "cinching" pressure on the lower half so that when you reach down into the water you can raise it to various degrees. Yes, you do get your arm wet but you don't have another line to keep track of and out of trouble.

Jim B.

Jim Brown (beaner-at-fuse.net)

Return to Rigging