My new DS1

Moderator: GreenLake

My new DS1

Postby Guest » Mon Mar 29, 2004 2:25 am

OK, bought a DS 1 and had it out for the first time today. Sailed pretty well and I am happy with it. I have had beach cats, but wanted a boat friendlier to my 7 year old. Seems like the Daysailer works better for my family.

Coupla of things I don't get, though.

I don't understand how the rope traveller works, neither did the guy I bought the boat from. He just ran the mainsheet from mid-boom to the trunk.

I have looked at the drawings, but don't get it. The rope traveller on the stern is a triangle run thru blocks.

How do you let go of the main, won't this triangle prevent the boom from going out? The drawings on the site seem unclear. Do you run the mainsheet up from the trunk to mid-boom and then tie it off to the traveller triangle?

We had a great day with 10 to 15kn wind. I could not keep the boom from skying. Is a boom vang a better answer?

The trunk seems kind of flexible. i can wiggle it maybe 3/8th of an inch if I grab and shake it. is this normal? there don't seem to be any cracks or leaks at the base.

My sails are pretty soft, saggy and seem blown out. Would someone be willing to sell either a main or jib?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts you have!

Richard

Richard Ames (ameseys-at-verizon.net)

Postby Guest » Mon Mar 29, 2004 9:31 am

Richard

Like you, I have gone from a beach cat (Hobie 16) to a DS 1 last year. The first thing I added to the boat was a vang. This definitely improved performance. On my boat the mainsheet was attached to the traveller with a pulley which freely moved from one side of the boat to the other. Using a second line on the traveller, I locked the block in the center so the mainsheet will no longer travel side to side. This helps the boat to point better. I then took the original traveller and made it adjustible. I am now able to let the traveller out to allow the sail to move off center to adjust for varying wind conditions. There are a number of configurations for making an adjustible traveller and I'm not sure what is the best. I'll be experimenting this summer.

If the centerboard trunk can move side to side, then I believe the thwarts (seats) are missing or not firmly attached. Sometimes the brackets which are glassed to the trunk break free.

Good luck with your new boat. I'll be putting my boat in as soon as the weather gets warmer here in the North East.

Roger Livingston

Roger Livingston (rnlivingston-at-tccsecure.com)

Return to Rigging