jib downhaul

Moderator: GreenLake

jib downhaul

Postby Peter McMinn » Wed Apr 21, 2004 6:46 pm

Back in September '02 Roger Conrad posted a photo with a thread query about fairleads on his deck and whether they were for a jib downhaul. It doesn't look like this was ever taken up by anybody.

My Ballinger rig is tuned to my Jotz racing sails. But when I use my Haarstick cruising / practice sails, the jibluff needs tightening. Currently, I thread a 1/4" line from one of the forward spinnaker cleats through a small block in the forestay eye, through the tack grommet and tie off at the stay eye. This 2:1system doesn't seem to have enough purchase to straighten the luff to satisfaction.

Does anyone have a jib downhaul system / technique that really works?
Peter McMinn

Postby Guest » Thu Apr 22, 2004 3:07 pm

Peter,
I have a Jib Cunningham rigged on my DaySailer. There is a hole in the forestay deck plate behind the forestay. A 1/16" spectra lines goes through this hole to a block under the foredeck (atatached to the bow hull) then runs back to a 5:1 block and cam cleat under the cabin. I use it to adjust up to 8" of luff tension on the jib. Obviously, the jib is built with a wire forestay tack and a Jib Cinnungham cringle hole. This adjust allows to compress the mast as well as tighten the jib luff.

Dave K. (dkoepper-at-erols.com)

Postby Peter McMinn » Thu Apr 22, 2004 3:50 pm

Thanks, Dave. I had something similar in mind. A couple of questions:
I assume the hole in the stay plate is quite small, but any touble with water coming through? Also, where and how are the blocks attached below decks? You mentioned the first is mounted on the inside of the hull--with thru-hull fasteners?

Peter
Peter McMinn

Postby Guest » Mon Apr 26, 2004 8:01 am

The below deck bow block is attached at the top of the block and bottom of the block. The bottom of the block is attached to the top bolt of the towing eye. My towing eye has two bolts that come through the hull and through the internal bow wood block. The top of the block is "hung" from one of the forestay tack bolts. This keeps the block vertical under the hole in the forestay tack. FYI - while you are there you can also attach you forstay tack to the top bolt of you towing eye to ensure that there is no deck hull separation.

The Jib Cunningham line comes through the tack hole, which is small - I am guessing 3/32 - to the aforementioned block and straight back, through a hole at the top of the bulk head (fiberglass bulk head with two open doors) to the block assembly. The block assembly ends on a cam cleat under the cuddy. I have a piece of wood that spans across the cuddy cabin about two inches below that I mount my cam cleats.

I do not know whether water comes in the hole, I suspect it does. My boat sits in a trailer under cover unless racing.

Dave (dkoepper-at-erols.com)

Return to Rigging