"Foil" type spreaders...

Moderator: GreenLake

"Foil" type spreaders...

Postby Guest » Tue Apr 27, 2004 6:21 pm

Picked up my 1966 DS this past weekend. Wasted no time practicing rigging her in the backyard. Also wasted no time snagging/breaking one of the spreaders while bringing the mast to vertical, what fun!!! I have two new "foil" shaped spreaders now... Has anyone had experience with installing these on the DS?

I'm also looking for tips on securing the shroud lines to the end of each spreader.

Thanks in advance.

BobG (bgagnon-at-mckessonhvma.com)

Postby Peter McMinn » Wed Apr 28, 2004 3:58 pm

Having no idea of the configuration of your spreader / mast assembly, I can only describe what's on my boat.

I have the foil type speaders you describe on a Ballinger mast. A cast aluminum bracket wraps around the mast and receives a flat cast alum. spreader on either side. The spreader is attached with a verticle stainless pin.

At the end of the spreader, there is simply a small notch that receives the shroud, which stays in place under tension. For a secure attachment, a small stainless pin bridges the notch laterally outside the shroud.

I have also the original proctor mast with the old straight spreaders. These are attached via vertical pin to simple stainless mounts either side. Perhaps this is similar to what you have?
Peter McMinn

Postby Peter McMinn » Wed Apr 28, 2004 4:10 pm

You'll also find a lot of info if you run a search on this site for "spreaders".

cheers
Peter McMinn

Postby Guest » Wed Apr 28, 2004 4:23 pm

Peter, That's my mast setup exactly. Two separate attachment points on either side which recieved the 3/8" tube style spreader originally. I think I may be in uncharted waters here because I'm trying to mate these new foil spreaders to these original attachment points. I think I can make that work.

I think I understand better how the shroud lines should mount to the spreader. I'll work with my local West Marine dealer for further info on the securing bit you described. Thanks for the response.

BobG (bgagnon-at-mckessonhvma.com)

Postby Guest » Fri Jun 04, 2004 12:18 am

I just finished renovating my DS1 (#1247)and had the same question about securing the shrouds to the ends of the spreaders (the "jury rig" adapted by the previous owner was rusted all to heck). I did the following:

I took a large stainles cotter pin and straightened it. I then put it through the small hole in the end of the spreader, and I wrapped each end around the shroud 3 times using a pair of needle-nose pliers. This seems to keep the ends of the spreaders from moving up or down on the shrouds, which was a problem before (in heavy winds). I then wrapped the cotter-pin/shroud in rigging tape to avoid holes in my mainsail.

Hope this helps!

Greg Farley (greg_farley-at-yahoo.com)

Postby Roger » Fri Jun 04, 2004 4:21 pm

Greg, I am not exactly sure about the point I am about to make, but it would seem to me that the spreader end should be able to slide up and down the shroud slighlly as the mast bends and straightens. Otherwise, it will bend the spreader up and down especially where it is fixed to the mast, and will eventually fail at that point. I have a similar set up with cotter pins, but back wrapped the two legs around the spreader so that it would still slide up and down if needed. I covered the junction with about four inches of foam pipe insulation and secured the top and bottom with plastic zip ties, (the kind used to wrap wires together)
Roger

Return to Rigging