releasable navy anchors

Moderator: GreenLake

releasable navy anchors

Postby Guest » Fri May 21, 2004 12:53 pm

Who makes or sells a 10 pound navy anchor with a shank that has a hole for a rope at each end? Does this type of anchor have a name?

Bruce Johnson (Bruce.Johnson-at-state.sd.us)

Postby Guest » Wed May 26, 2004 8:07 pm

I believe the "Navy" anchor is also referred to as a "stockless" anchor, of similar configuration as used on large navy and merchant ships. I've had a 20# miniture navy style anchor for close to 50 yrs, and doubt anybody has manufactued any since end of WWII.
I assume you want to connect a line to the base of the anchor so as to retrieve it if it gets stuck. This procedure has been recommended by some authorities. I have done so by just tying a line around the base on both "danforth" and "fisherman" styles, with the line run free up to a float. It does give a little confidence that you might be able to retrieve the anchor if it gets stuck, but for some unknown reason, I didn't think the anchors would set as well, with a retrieving line attached.

John C. Jr. (ghampe-at-rcn.com)

Postby Guest » Thu May 27, 2004 11:12 am

I apologize for the commercial announcement, but I work with a company called Greenfield Products. We make a plastic coated 10# navy anchor, in several colors. It does not, however, have a ring on the bottom to "trip" it. We also make several other kinds of plastisol coated anchors, coated chain for anchoring and other applications and other outdoor products. We are a manufacturer, and marketer, so we don't sell directly to the public, but we have several customers across the country (including Wal-Mart, and certain West Marine stores) who do. If you let me know where you are, I can refer you to one.

J.P. Clowes (jpclowes-at-hotmail.com)

Return to Rigging