NewSailaPalooza

Moderator: GreenLake

Re: NewSailaPalooza

Postby tomodda » Fri Mar 26, 2021 8:53 pm

GL:

There's adhesive backed dacron stripes that you can buy. Sailrite has it, for instance, look for "draft tape".

We'll see how useful these are to me in practice. May just be another source of "bad habits." However, I'm already trying to move my draft around via the usual controls (halyard, outhaul, cursing), and guessing what I'm doing based on the position of the battens and the cross-seams on the sail. Now I'm hoping that now I can actually see what I'm doing. No guarantee that I'm doing the right thing, though!
tomodda

Postby Fly4rfun » Mon Mar 29, 2021 9:05 pm

SEM makes a paint for cloth/upholstery i have thought about painting some on my "pristine" sails. can you teach me how cursing works for you? i can't get my sail to respond. :lol:
"Sail Aweigh" 1966 DS1 #2675
Fly4rfun

Postby tomodda » Tue Mar 30, 2021 10:10 am

can you teach me how cursing works for you? i can't get my sail to respond. :lol:

Haha! True story, my Dad owned a MacGregor 36 Catamaran. In case you've never seen one, it's the answer to the question "What happens when you cross a Hobie Cat with a 1980 Datsun King-Cab Truck?" but at least it was FAAAST. We were out sailing once with my 15yo little sister and one of her girlfriends when we wrapped the Genoa around the forestay in a bad gybe. Much yelling and cursing ensued: "Loose the Genny! G*D*mn Genny! Douse that F*ing Genny NOW!" etc, etc. Once we had the situation back somewhat under control, we noticed a small waterfall of big fat tears streaming down the little girl's face. Her name was Jennifer, aka Jenny. She looked at us and bawled "What did I do WROOOOONG?!??"

Poor kid... that incident, among others is why I keep shouting to an absolute minimum on my boat. Sailing is meant to be relaxing(ish).
tomodda

Postby GreenLake » Tue Mar 30, 2021 11:17 am

this needs the "like" button.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby Shagbark » Tue Mar 30, 2021 6:39 pm

AWESOME Story! Nothing like scarring kids for life. She probably hasn't been on a boat since. :lol:
Shagbark

Postby Fly4rfun » Wed Mar 31, 2021 12:07 am

Tom, I needed that, thank you, been a rough few weeks.
"Sail Aweigh" 1966 DS1 #2675
Fly4rfun

Previous

Return to Sails