Sail repair

Moderator: GreenLake

Sail repair

Postby twista » Wed Mar 16, 2005 5:29 pm

When I took my sails out of the bag...I found a small animal had found his way inside and chewed a few small holes in my jib. I'm looking for some ideas on how to repair the "dime sized" holes...if anyone has any ideas on the matter... : :idea: :cry: Thanks Jon
twista

Postby rossinvrland » Tue Oct 10, 2006 12:44 pm

Hi,
I see that this is an old post, but the answer still remains true for anyone else that may browse through this post, looking for the same answer.
The best answer depends on where the holes are. If the holes are within a foot of the leech, then I'd take it to a sail loft to have it properly patched. However, if the holes are located in the mid-sail to luff area, then you can easily get by with circular cut dacron tape patches, applied to both sides. Make sure that your patches are at least an inch and a half beyond the edges of the holes to ensure a good surface area for sticking. If the patches need to be rectangular in shape, then make sure that you round off the corners. This prevents lifting & fraying of the sail patch material.
Ross
rossinvrland

sail repair

Postby twista » Tue Oct 10, 2006 8:27 pm

Thanks..
twista

Return to Sails