Erecting a keel-stepped mast

Moderator: GreenLake

Erecting a keel-stepped mast

Postby Ron Haybron » Thu Aug 11, 2005 10:10 am

I need advice/ideas on erecting a keel-stepped mast with little/no help.
Ron Haybron
Ron Haybron

head in the clouds

Postby Peter McMinn » Thu Aug 11, 2005 12:14 pm

I really don't have much problem with mine, but there are some crucial things to remember:
    footwear with excellent grip (I prefer bare feet)
    a sturdy piece of foam rubber
    trailer wheels locked into position
    good balance
    no powerlines above

First, place the foam rubber on the cuddy next to the partner hole.
Check to make sure nothinig is hung up on the mast (things you can't reach later). Check to see that your windex is on and secure!

I start on the ground and pick up the mast from the middle, then raise the head by wedging the foot on the ground and, hand over hand, bring the mast to vertical. Once the mast is vertical on the ground, make sure the stays are all hanging clear.

I manuever the vertical mast so it's just abeam the boat. At this point, I climb aboard, keeping the mast balanced with one hand (much easier than it sounds).

From deck, I can get ahold of the mast at mangeable points and hoist it aboard, making sure to keep it balanced and vertical. I carry the mast to the cuddy roof and set the foot down on the foam rubber.

At this point, I could drop the foot straight down to the step.

(I could, if I didn't have internal (infernal) halyards, which means I need a helper to fish the halyard tails through the cuddy hole and clear the way down under).

With the mast stepped, I find it stays put while I secure the shrouds and headstay.

When I got the boat, this process seemed daunting, but after practice, it's just not such a big deal.

Just watch those powerlines!

Cheers
Peter McMinn

Postby Bob Damon » Thu Aug 11, 2005 2:16 pm

I do it similarly but start standing on the cuddy and bringing the mast vertical to one side of the boat, then lifting it vertically to the deck, then cuddy. I secure my internal halyards into a ball that I can kick into the cuddy partner and then slide the mast into the part tner. It is nice to have a pair of eyes to guide the mast heel into the mast step. My mast is easy to lift as it is a Proctor but if you have a regular Aslpar or Kenyon section you may want to consider adding a hinged mast step. Good luck.
Bob Damon
Class Measurer

Thanks

Postby Ron Haybron » Thu Aug 11, 2005 9:45 pm

Thank you both for your replies. Your methods are the same I've been using for 30+ years, but with the heavier Zeypher spar and my advancing age, plus my mates all grown and gone, I'm seeking a way, short of a hinge. Halyards are external, hence no problem and at another time I'll post an overhead wire story. (Seven died at one time.) Since I always leave the boat in for many weeks this is not a crucial issue, but one of pride and an inability to ask docksiders for help. I appreciate your advice and if I come up with a rig, I'll report. Rube Goldberg, where are you when I need you? Ron Haybron
Ron Haybron
Ron Haybron

Keel Stepped Mast

Postby afsammis » Thu Nov 03, 2005 3:56 pm

Ron,
I have the same problem. Getting older and no help. Check out this web site. They have an interesting looking crane devise that looks promising. It looks like it would be easy to make yourself.

http://home.att.net/~sail-trailers/index.html
afsammis

Postby calden » Thu Nov 03, 2005 5:18 pm

Nice tip on stepping the mast.

I'm a new DS owner and have just gone through two weeks of R&D devising different frames and supports to attache to the trailer and/or boat itself to help me raise the mast. If I had lots of money, but more importantly, lots of time I'm sure I could come up with something. So close.....

But, after much thought and consideration, I decided it's not worth my efforts just to keep the single-piece mast. I'm going to install a mast hinge. I'm not going to race. If I ever do get to that point I'll look into purchasing a tapered mast.

I'm able to step it as is, but that's without wind and each time assuming all is right with my karma level and the laws of gravity. I bought this boat to have fun with and be able to sail alone if I wish, not to engender more stress.

I spoke with Rudy of D & R this morning and the hinge and new stays are on their way.

If anyone is interested in discussing my ideas on making a helping device, let me know.

Carlos
DS I #1653
calden

way to step mast

Postby gerald » Fri Nov 04, 2005 2:38 am

this probably isnt feasible but since you asked and I had the idea I will throw it up in the air and see what happens....boats in the water at the edge of the lake/bay/ whatever...if you can careen it enough(lean it to one side) you can put the mast in while you stand beside it....will it work?.I dont have any idea..I am working long hours and my mind wanders.....when/if I get some time off I will try it....and it might take more man power to careen it than it would to just put the mast in but I think the main worry is dropping the mast not the work involved......if it turns out that its too goofy an answer I will swear I was drinking.....and careen may be spelled wrong..

gerald
#10169 dsII
gerald

Keel-stepped mast

Postby Ron Haybron » Fri Nov 04, 2005 9:59 am

I very much appreciate the reponses re my need to devise a mast-stepping technique for my DSI, ocassioned by the combination of a new, heavier Zeypher spar, advancing age and the loss of my former crew---sons now grown.
One suggestion, careening, will be my next effort. I got the idea from Robin Knox-Johnson's 1986 "Seamanship," plus some forum discussions of careening to apply bottom paint. Knox-Johnson refers to "parbuckling," a method for moving "some heavy object, such as a barrel, up an incline." I will try it next spring. It will require a sloping shore-line, a generous length of 3/8" line and some kind of shore anchor, perhaps with a come-along or tackle in the loop. Since I sail in salt water I'll start at high tide and both try to step the mast and apply anti-fouling, the latter at low water, but I expect the method, if it is feasible, will work on any lake shore. Please note this is still an untested idea.
Other topics---I bought a trailing/mooring cover from "The Sailor's Tailor' located in Spring Valley, Ohio and am delighted with it. Costly, but vastly superior compared to the old canvas covers I've used previously. With a bit of fiddling it can be rigged to shed rain with no puddling in low spots with the mast in trail position. Pricy but worth the money in my estimation.
I also had two rows of reefing points applied to my main, but no trial yet. Any aging, center-board sailor who sails alone must learn some new tricks. Next a stom jib to match the area of the double reefed main.
Ron Haybron
Ron Haybron

careening

Postby gerald » Sat Nov 05, 2005 3:46 am

"One suggestion, careening, will be my next effort. I got the idea from Robin Knox-Johnson's 1986 "Seamanship,""

I thought I thought of it...but no matter..good luck with it....sail on dude...
gerald

Re: Raising a keel-stepped mast

Postby calden » Sun Nov 06, 2005 3:10 am

John McGrath wrote:Anyhow, it worked like a champ. Extremely simple. The pole's a little wobbly, but nothing alarming. It's actually doesn't bear that much weight. If anyone would like pictures, I'll be able to provide in the near future.

Cheers,

John, Colorado Springs

Very slick, John. I was working on an idea to support a roller on a long pole, extended up from the trailer, so the roller is about 8' above the partner. I was able to use a prototype device, attached to my back deck 4x4. I rested the top end of the mast against the roller, then simply pushed against it and up, and the mast went right up.

In tests I found that my 2x4 support post, clamped to the trailer and extending out over the partner location, was simpy too wobbly. My next step was going to be obtaining some aluminum square tubing, but I got tired of spending my time inventing.

Your idea is very nice, though. I hadn't thought of using something to lift the mast. You're right - it's not heavy, it's just simply very awkward to toss around.

I received my mast hinge today, so next week I slice and dice.

Carlos
DS I #1653
calden

Return to Sails