DS1 v Mariner 2+2 Sails

Moderator: GreenLake

DS1 v Mariner 2+2 Sails

Postby Dave » Fri Dec 09, 2005 11:35 pm

Okay I did it. I found an old Mariner CB sailboat for sale and bought it. No mast, no boom, no rudder, no tiller, no main sail, but it did come with a spinnaker. The question I have now; is the spinnaker for the Mariner the same as for the DS 1? I called 2 sail mfr's and they said "Maybe".
Any help would be appreciated. Oh, yes, .... the hull is still attached to the deck and both were included in this purchase.
-Dave
Dave

spinnaker not in class rules

Postby Roger » Mon Dec 12, 2005 12:17 am

I think the spinnaker is not allowed on the Mariner for class racing. Check the usmariner.org website.
Roger

Spinnaker

Postby rnlivingston » Mon Dec 12, 2005 10:41 am

I own both boats and have spinnakers for both. I'll check the sizes when I get home tonight.

Roger is right...spinnakers are not legal for class racing on a Mariner. However, a lot of boats are set up for it because they are a lot of fun to fly.

Roger Livingston
DS 11538
Mariner 4096
rnlivingston

Spinnaker

Postby rnlivingston » Mon Dec 12, 2005 10:18 pm

Both spinnakers are virtually the same size. The previous owner may have used a DS spinnaker for the Mariner.

Roger Livingston
rnlivingston

Spinnaker

Postby Dave » Tue Dec 20, 2005 12:20 am

Thanks for the info. I did check the measurements of my found spinnaker to the DSI spec's and found they were close enough to work. Now I get to learn how to work the spinnaker, this will be a hoot... . Somebody needs to film my attempts to set it the first few times. Oh yes, my wife is fearful of water. She does not like the boat to tilt so I guess I will be looking for a crew to try and learn setting a spinnaker.
-Dave
Dave

Return to Sails