Proper sail folding.

Moderator: GreenLake

Proper sail folding.

Postby Daniel Westfall » Tue Feb 21, 2006 5:20 pm

Can someone describe the proper way to fold the sails for storage and where and how is the best way to store them for short (summer) and long term (winter) periods. Also, what is the best solutions (materials) and method of washing the sails and how often.. Thanks.
Sea Dragon
Daniel Westfall

sail care

Postby captainseasick » Wed Feb 22, 2006 5:49 pm

always wash off salt and dry completely before bagging. Do not leave sails on boat uncovered in sunlight as UV rays degrade Dacron quickly. Do not allow sails to luff (flap) if it can be avoided. the back and forth bending of the fibres breaks down the fabric and the resins in the cloth and causes it to change shape. Finally roll the mainsail from top to the foot with soft folds into the bag. likewise with the jib. Avoid sharp folds or unnecessary wrinkles. NEVER Stuff a wet salty sail into a bag. NEVER leave the sails tied on deck uncovered for days at a time. Never leave sails un-sheated and unattended while still hoisted. A dry clean spinnaker can safely be stuffed in the bag.
Mike
Michael D. Schreibman
captainseasick

Postby Peter McMinn » Wed Feb 22, 2006 7:53 pm

I used to fold sails but have found that rolling them up tightly preserves them nicely. Most newer sails come in bags designed for this purpose.

To make sure the sails don't "kink" in transit, I have some stiff PVC pipe in the bag.

My brother rolls his main around the boom, detatches the boom, rolls the jib up, then bags the whole package.

To roll the sails, fold the headboard down, and begin rolling with the seams remaining parallel with the roll.

Life's a reach....
Peter McMinn

Postby PromptCritical » Wed Mar 01, 2006 1:18 am

Here's how I was taught:

Lay sail on soft surface (such as grass, if available) or have others help you fold it up.

Remove the battens.

Start from the foot of the sail and make folds, accordian fashion, every foot or so, until you get to the top. It should now look like a long strip with a zig-zag running from the head to the clew.

Simply fold, or roll the sail up and put it in the bag.

All the other stuff about water, salt, and sunlight is right on, too.
O'Day DaySailer II #6991 "Entropy"
Suntracker Party Hut 30 "Hornet"
Performance Laser
Feathercraft K1 Expedition
Dama Standup Paddleboard
Pelican Paddleboat

Sea Scout Ship 601 "City of Roses", Portland, OR
PromptCritical

Return to Sails