preferred sail cloth weight?`

Moderator: GreenLake

preferred sail cloth weight?`

Postby calden » Sat Jul 29, 2006 8:19 pm

Hey all:

Yes, me again. I see that I have posted an astounding number of times since joining this group. But in retrospect I also see that I have tried to be concise in my questions and offered up witty repartee as well as offered advice when it's fallen in the scope of what I know.

Sail question:

I'm having Don Yager make up a new main for me. Reasonable price, and he's local so I got to discuss things with him personally, which I always like to do with large purchases. He is suggesting 5 oz. cloth for longevity, based on my recreational use of the boat. Looking at the technical specs page, I see that a cloth NO LIGHTER than 3.5 oz. is called for, so I'm okay as far asnot having it be too light - but is 5 oz. considered way too heavy for racing, and virtually anyone who might be a potential future buyer of my boat as a racer (should I ever sell, doesn't look like it) simply scoff at the idea of 5 0z. sailcloth?

Thanks in advance,
Carlos
DS I #1653
calden

sail cloth

Postby gary l. britton » Sat Jul 29, 2006 9:33 pm

Hi:

Here is my 2-cents worth. I am no expert about sail cloths, but I would go with the sailmakers recommendation. Maybe the 3.5 oz cloth is for racing, but are you a racer, or a cruiser that will race in club races? If you are the latter, then 5 oz. and longivity would be my choice.

Myself I am just a guy that likes to sail, and every now and then try my hand at club racing. Even if I were to go to a big DaySailer regatta, I would not be concerned about my sail cloth weight bacause I am not going to win the BIG race anyway, but have a good time. That is what sailing is all about.

Have fun and enjoy the boat !!!

Fair Winds,

Gary
1966 DS I
#3235 "Dancing Girls II"
gary l. britton

Return to Sails