Sail number placement

Moderator: GreenLake

Sail number placement

Postby calden » Wed Sep 27, 2006 10:07 am

Hey all:

I've been using my new Yager mainsail and have discovered a new world of sailing. However, I opted not to put numbers on it, thinking I'm just going to remain a casual daysailer and not race. All that changed with one race, however, and I went ahead and got some numbers from Sailrite.

Is it acceptable to place them pretty much in the same position where the original sail numbers were located on the original sail, like in the picture below:

...or are there specific location requirements that I haven't yet discovered? Like in this picture, where they are a batten-height higher than my original's:

Carlos
DS I #1653
calden

Check the Hand Book

Postby PDuckX » Wed Sep 27, 2006 11:36 am

Go to the Daysailer Assoc. section of this web site click on the bottom link and look at section 8.11 for the specifications.
Andy - Former DaySailer Owner
PDuckX

Postby calden » Wed Sep 27, 2006 12:29 pm

Thanks for the reply. I recall looking that up, and it states:

"The size and location shall conform to the IYRR 94/96 Rule Appendix B-3, Par 1.2. and 1.3..."

I tried to find out more info on this specification but got nowhere with a google search. Maybe someone can tell me what the IYRR 94/96 Rule Appendix B-3, Par 1.2. and 1.3 states about the number location.

Thanks,
Carlos
DS I #1653
calden

Sail Numbers

Postby Bob Damon » Wed Sep 27, 2006 8:59 pm

Sorry, some of our bylaws are outdated with current dates. Essentially we use a minimum 10" high number. The number is placed on both sides of the main such that the number is higher on the starboard side of the main and the number on the port side is then placed below it. The pictures from the NAC show it well. The previous placement shown on your boat have the numbers in a lower panel that are not as visible for other competitors. Let me know if you have any other questions. Thanks, Bob Damon
Bob Damon
Class Measurer

Postby calden » Wed Sep 27, 2006 9:47 pm

Thanks, guys! That helps.

I have already bought 12" high numbers, as per the handbook specs, but that just means it'll be easier to tell who came in last :>]

I'll put them on according to the picture I posted.

Carlos
DS I #1653
calden

Postby KaiB » Thu Sep 28, 2006 9:09 am

Ahh,

Carlos has the bug. I can see centerboard and rudder work in the winter...

We will be adding a kite to the kit this winter. It should be fun to compare notes come spring.

Sadie B. is high and dry in the shed now. I had forgotten that we got a brandy new original canvas cover for her when we got the boat. Very nice.

Fair winds, Kai
btw...I will be out in Coos Bay 5 to 15 Oct...hope to get on the water...anybody out in the area need rail meat or a string puller?
KaiB

Postby calden » Thu Sep 28, 2006 11:58 am

KaiB wrote:Ahh,

Carlos has the bug. I can see centerboard and rudder work in the winter...

Too late. I've already removed the centerboard twice for leak repairs and have done the rudder, too. As well as fitting 1/4" UHMW 12" diameter shims to either side of the centerboard. (By the way, I've found it not difficult to remove the centerboard while the boat is on the trailer.)

My winter project will be some minor fiberglass repairs on the inside, some equipment bags and hooks to hold things, and a new mainsheet swivel block.

And maybe a decrepit San Juan 21 I've heard about that needs some lovin'. Yep, and maybe get a slip, too. I love sailing more than I could have imagined.

Carlos
DS I #1653
calden

Return to Sails