new sail recommendation

Moderator: GreenLake

new sail recommendation

Postby calden » Thu Feb 01, 2007 1:49 am

Alright. It's time for a new jib to match my Yager Main I bought last summer. I don't race other DS's, I just want something to replace my old and tired jib. Main is 5.5 oz. I'm looking for something that's decent but not necessarily top-grade. Any suggestions for low or moderate priced jibs?

Thanks,
Carlos

only FOUR months till Memorial Day
DS I #1653
calden

Postby rnlivingston » Thu Feb 01, 2007 11:11 am

Check with D&R Marine. http://www.drmarine.com/products.asp?cat=124
The sell a Neil Pryde jib at a reasonable price.

Roger Livingston
rnlivingston

Postby calden » Thu Feb 01, 2007 10:10 pm

Thanks for the reply. Anyone else want to chime in as to having bought sails from somewhere? I should make it clear that I am not interested in having my jib cleaned and re-resined. I know that's an effective solution sometimes, but this jib is pretty old, and I don't want to spend the money to have a temporary solution. I might as well buy new (or gently used.)

Carlos
DS I #1653
calden

Postby Peter McMinn » Fri Feb 02, 2007 7:52 pm

Carlos, you ought to check out Jotz. This guy is in N. Cal and corresponds only by US mail. Makes some fine sails for the money.

http://www.jotzsails.com/

BTW, you're still invited to come sail with us in Portland!

Peter
Peter McMinn

New DS sails by SLO Sails

Postby slosailandcanvas » Wed Mar 07, 2007 2:24 pm

Carlos,
I make sails for the Daysailer. We are on the sailmaker list on daysailer.org. We also have a website, www.slosails.com, a large Daysailer specific section will be coming soon.

You were asking specifically about a jib.

Here is how we build them. 5.5 ounce Challenge squareweave cloth with a huge mylar window. Our sail window is 24" tall and runs almost luff to leech. Finally, a solution to port-starboard incidents. You and your crew can really see.

A DS jib from us costs $340. They are very nice and will last you a long time. All sails come with roll bags.

-Karl
Sail fast, take lotsa chances.
slosailandcanvas

Postby calden » Sat Mar 10, 2007 3:14 pm

Thanks all for input and suggestions.

I called Rudy at D&R and talked to him about matching the jib with the mainsail I now have, and wound up buying a Neil Pryde from D&R. Good advice, good price.

Can't wait to get it on the boat and in the water. Might go up to 50° today! That would mean the water is, oh, maybe up to a whopping 42° but rising.

Carlos
DS I #1653
calden

Neil Pryde Jib?

Postby kkearns » Thu Jun 11, 2009 5:57 am

I'm the new own of a 1965 DS1 and am looking for new sails. What is a "Neil Pryde" jib, sold by D&R Sails? Does anyone have an opinion on Intensity Sails?

Thanks,
Kevin
kkearns

Postby navahoIII » Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:07 am

Neil Pryde is the sailmaker. I bought the main and jib (with sail bag) from D&R Marine last year. It was the best combination price I had seen. The sails work beautifully and are, I believe, of excellent quality.

Both D&R and Pryde have friendly and helpful staffs too.
navahoIII

Return to Sails