reefing

Moderator: GreenLake

reefing

Postby Guest » Thu Mar 16, 2000 1:00 am

I'm sending my mainsail to a sailmaker to have reefing points installed. Does anyone have suggestions about placement? I was told that a standard reef is 17% of the luff. (What does that translate to in SA?) I sail my DS1 in the Rocky Mountain area. Winds can be very strong, (25-35 mph is common) and they can come up suddenly. I've heard of single, double, and triple reefs on Day Sailers. One message in this thread suggested a single 40% reduction. I guess I am leaning towards one deep reef. Any thoughts on this matter would really be appreciated!

Stan (stank-at-trib.com)

Postby Guest » Thu Mar 16, 2000 1:00 am

17% of the luff is about 42" on our sails and that's probably good advise for a single set of reef points. If you were putting in 2 sets, you might want the first set closer to 36" and the 2nd set just above the bottom batten sleeve which is somewhere around 55" I'd guess. Someone on this message board posted that theirs were at 34" while another posted that theirs were 60". It really depends on where you sail, how much wind you want to be able to take, etc...

The guys at my local sail loft said he normally puts them just below the first batten when doing a single set.

KRC
Dallas, TX

Kevin Clark (clarkr-at-aud.alcatel.com)

Return to Sails