Spinnaker price?

Moderator: GreenLake

Spinnaker price?

Postby carver4591 » Fri Apr 25, 2008 2:10 pm

Hello all, I reciently bought a 1977 DS, and got a spinnaker with it that I have no use for. It looks like it was never flown and has all the hardware with it. Any idea what a new spinnaker goes for? Im going to list it on the sale board here. Really looking forward to sailing this puppy! Unfortunately, my lake is too small to warrent a spinnaker.

Happy Trails......Brad
Follow your bliss.....
carver4591

Postby algonquin » Fri Apr 25, 2008 11:18 pm

Hmmmm, I think its worth about $50 and free shipping don't you know. :D PM me and I'll send you my address.

Actually its probably in the $250-$500 range in the condition you describe. A new one would run more but even in near unused condition it is still considered used. Still this is a guess based on sales I have seen. Brad ( Hey you are using my name :lol: )
"Feather" DS1 #818
algonquin

Sail value

Postby beachboy46 » Sun Jun 15, 2008 12:42 pm

What is the useful life of a sail?
Moving the Boat is a ditty bag of variables.
Assume all the variables to be constant except the sails.
Sails convert the power of the wind to move the Boat.
Sail shape creates a foil; the wind flowing over this foil creates the force to move the Boat. The challenge is Sail shape.
I have sailed with brand new, direct from the loft, “Crunchy” sails. Some think this is when a sail is at 100% of its efficiency. I wonder if a little breaking in might smooth the foil shape, allowing for a better air flow across the surface, and increasing efficiency. I have sailed with sails so used, they came with my first DS, and were as soft as an old T shirt, no more “Crunch” than the last soggy corn flake in the bowl. I liked these sails for light wind, stretched beyond their designed shape; they had a little extra lift.
So how do you quantify the useful life of a sail?
If a new sail is at 100% efficiency and cost $700, is a sail at 50% efficiency worth $350? How about one at 80% efficiency?
I think there are incredible values in used sails, after all it is only one of the many variables involved in moving the Boat.
Brad Beach
beachboy46

Postby algonquin » Mon Jun 16, 2008 6:37 pm

What is the likelihood of three posts in a row by three separate individuals all with the first name Brad ? :o Brad
"Feather" DS1 #818
algonquin

Return to Sails