sail cleaning solvent

Moderator: GreenLake

sail cleaning solvent

Postby surfnsail24 » Sat Jun 07, 2008 2:30 am

The sails that came with my 1976 DS II were not properly stored (rust stains,etc) and I wanted to wash them. I was thinking of lightly scrubbing them in woolite.

Any suggestions?
surfnsail24

Postby adam aunins » Sat Jun 07, 2008 7:19 pm

I just did a quick google and found this http://www.sailingsource.com/neilpryde/faq.htm since it's a Neil pryde site I would tend to trust it more than some of the other things you'll read on the net, (you know how that goes).

This does bring up a good topic about sailboats "TAKING CARE OF YOUR SAILS". They are one of the most important things on your boat. You can argue about a lot of other things but for the most part those things are there for the sails.

When I got old enough to start shooting guns my dad started off with teaching me how to clean, oil, take care of and store a gun. I never got to start shooting until I had shown that I could and would do that properly. I'm starting to think that sailing lessons should start with how to take care of and store sails. One of these days I'm going to have to buy new sails because of the previous owner not storing them right, and when I do it will cost more than what I paid for the whole boat and trailer.
adam aunins

Return to Sails