Storm jib dimensions.

Moderator: GreenLake

Storm jib dimensions.

Postby Guest » Wed Aug 02, 2000 12:34 pm

I want a small jib to use when I sail with reefed main. Does anyone have recommendations on dimensions? I was going to make one that is reduced the same % as my main is reduced when reefed. Does that make sense?

Mike H (hastingsml-at-aol.com)

Postby Guest » Wed Aug 09, 2000 4:13 pm

Mike,

I've thought of this as well. I have 75% reef points and have like you thought a 75% jib might be nice. I've been keeping my eyes open for a Lido 14 or similar sized jib, but yet to find one.

FYI, I sailed my DS w/ the main reefed last Saturday in 20-30 MPH winds w/ 2 waterskiing buddies as crew. Neither had ever sailed and they had a blast although I could tell they were scared a few times. I was glad the sail was reefed because I doubt we could have stayed upright w/ a full main. This was the first use of my new reef points and they worked wonderfully! A storm jib would be nice in a true storm w/ 35+ winds, but I really didn't need it Saturday and we were seeing a few 30+ gusts. Of course I had 2 guys w/ me so our total crew weight was high...probably 500 lbs, so w/ just one crew I might think otherwise.

Kevin Clark
DS 11791

Kevin Clark (clarkr-at-aud.alcatel.com)

Postby Guest » Fri Aug 11, 2000 12:22 am

"in 20-30 MPH winds w/ 2 waterskiing buddies"

With the main reefed, could both of these guys waterski at the same time? I'm guessing they had to take turns <grin>.

John C (pf_flyer_1remove-at-yahoo.com)

Return to Sails