Is this a jib? Help

Moderator: GreenLake

Is this a jib? Help

Postby seandwyer » Sun Oct 11, 2009 5:52 pm

Hey Guys,

Is this some alternate kind of jib, and if so how do you use it? The long edge with connectors for the forstay is about 12 or 13 feet long with the usual dog collar fasteners all along the edge. The shape is a perfect triangle except the bottom edge is slightly curved like a smile going up at the corners. It's much larger than the jib I usually use. This sail came with the boat and I have always avoided it. Any ideas about what you would call this or how to use? I might like to try it out tomorrow (taking off and supposed to be light breezes, so more sail might be better). It might be too long for the forestay - not sure yet.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/43515535@N08/?saved=1

Thank[/img]
Sean
DS1 - 3203
seandwyer

Postby MrPlywood » Sun Oct 11, 2009 7:31 pm

Maybe it's a storm jib, but for a larger boat.

http://www.sailingbreezes.com/Sailing_B ... umsail.htm

Or a storm trysail, but it sounds like the hanks are on the wrong edge.
MrPlywood

Postby seandwyer » Mon Oct 12, 2009 9:46 am

No - I don't think it could be a storm jib because it is so much larger than the regular jib. I think it must be some alternate sail. Is there such a thing as a racing jib or maybe it would be considered a genoa? I don't really know what they look like compared to a jib, but this is different in size and shape. A storm jib is smaller - right? If it isn't a genoa, or something else like it, it must be for a different boat. Any other ideas?
Sean
DS1 - 3203
seandwyer

Postby GreenLake » Mon Oct 12, 2009 9:00 pm

Sean, a genoa would effectively be a jib with a larger overlap, so the foot is longer. The luff should be the same length as your regular jib. In other words, it should not be taller. After all, you are fitting it on the same stay.

If your sailing season's not over, and if the mystery sail fits your stay, you could try it in low wind, sailing on different points of sail. Even if it ultimately doesn't improve anything, it's fun to try these things out.

It's rather unlikely to have been for racing, because it's not one of the sails sanctioned in the class rules for the DS - so the only time it could have been used is in informal races against different types of boats.

Could be that the previous owner acquired or sold it by accident. Could even be that the PO got it with the intent to use the material to have it re-cut into a DS jib.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Return to Sails