swinging boom lenght

Postby focacube » Thu Oct 22, 2009 8:25 am

What's the lenght of the swinging boom for the spi

And any idea for a removable bowsprit?

Thanks
Do not bring me problems to solve but solutions to approve
focacube

Postby Bob Damon » Thu Oct 22, 2009 11:51 am

Spinnaker Pole length is 74 inches end to end, or in centimeters, 187.96 cm. Bowsprits and asymmetrical spinnakers are not class legal for racing but for cruising you can do what you want. Most of this information is in the handbook section located under the Day Sailer Association tab.
Bob Damon
Class Measurer

removable bowsprit

Postby focacube » Thu Oct 22, 2009 5:08 pm

thanks,
I am from italy, and there is no DS fleet here so we will race open regattas with a PY number so there are no problems for the class rules
Do not bring me problems to solve but solutions to approve
focacube

Postby GreenLake » Sat Oct 31, 2009 9:25 am

Because of the class rules, the number of people here interested in persuing certain approaches is more limited. But the topic does come up. You can find a short discussion about asymmetric spinnakers in this forum, if you dig a bit. My DS currently has no spinnaker, and, I've been wondering whether I would benefit from some kind of downwind sail.

However, after reading up on various downwind sails, I'm seriously wondering whether a spinnaker is appropriate for a boat that's not used in races and sailed single-handed much or the time.

Your case is special in that you may not be likely to sell your boat to someone interested in racing it under class rules. You could contemplate cutting a hole in the bow and fitting a sleeve under the deck to install a retractable bowsprit. I wonder how long that would have to be?

Adding some fittings on deck to fix a bowsprit might also be possible. Some kind of ring in front next to the forestay and a U bracket further back on deck.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Return to Sails