Adding color to jib

Moderator: GreenLake

Adding color to jib

Postby neal doucette » Fri Nov 27, 2009 9:23 pm

I have had very good luck buying a main from Intensity Sail. I plan to buy a jib from them and my better half thinks it would be cool to have a nice blue stripe or 2 on it. Is there a sensible way to do this? I still will get the all white jib from Intensity for they have super prices and great service. Thanks from southern Maine.
neal doucette

Postby algonquin » Fri Nov 27, 2009 11:51 pm

You can ask Intensity if they can modify your new jib with the stripes when you order it. Otherwise look for local sail makers in your area to put your stripes on. It shouldn’t run to much and will let others ID your boat when you are out on the water. Hopefully the blue will also go along with your boat colors. Brad.
"Feather" DS1 #818
algonquin

Adding color to a sail

Postby Marv Irwin » Sat Nov 28, 2009 2:00 pm

Greetings to the collective,

I have a bit of advice to offer on this subject: If you add stripes....and most especially, if you add stripes to your main AND jib....It is critical that you get the new sails onto your boat without the stripes FIRST. Then measure very carefully for stripe placement. From unfortunate first hand experience, I can assure that if the stripes on your jib and main do not quite align when you have them raised, you will slowly go very crazy. I can't seem to post a nice little picture like Mr. Plywood, so my public shame will remain undisclosed.

Marv
Marv
Marv Irwin

artists acrylic paint

Postby dannyb9 » Sun Nov 29, 2009 7:16 am

my ds 1 had a nasty rust stain in the center of the jib when i got it. i used a dinner plate to draw a circle around the stain with an indelible marking pen. then i painted inside the circle with high quality acrylic artists paint (liquitex cadmium red medium), i repeated the process on the other side. kamikaze daysailer! very neat, and the stain became virtually invisible. how durable is the paint? i have a favorite pair of black pants that have had a blue acrylic artists paint mark on them for many years. the pants have been through the laundry countless times. the blue paint is as brilliant as ever.
dannyb9

Return to Sails