New sails and sail numbering

Moderator: GreenLake

New sails and sail numbering

Postby mbowser » Thu May 26, 2011 1:35 pm

Brown just delivered my DSII a new set of sails from IntensitySails. I haven't bent them on yet to see the shape, but the overall quality of the stitching and hardware appears to be very good. The main came with a tube bag and battens and the jib came with a standard duffel. I believe they are made in China but many other big names are doing the same. In any case, I shopped around and their prices were unbeatable.

I'm not sure what to do with the number decals that came with it; my bigger boat has a US Sailing offshore number for identification, is there a similar organization for daysailers? Or do I just put the hull number on or skip it altogether? I do not race this boat.
mbowser

Sail Numbering

Postby ChrisB » Thu May 26, 2011 3:15 pm

According to previous posts on this forum, the sail number can be deciphered from the hull number. If your hull number is as follows:
XDYD12340676
XDY = Manufacturer = O'Day
D = model = daysailer
1234 = class number (also sail number)
0676 = month and year of manufacture

If you don't race there is no need to have a number on your sail other than to assist in locating your boat in an emergency. My original Neil Pryde sails have never had sail numbers.
Chris B.
ChrisB

Postby kkearns » Thu May 26, 2011 8:02 pm

I am starting my third year with the Intensity sails and I love them. I understand that they are not race legal, or at least they weren't when I purchased them, but I have found them to be great for everyday sailing.

Personally, I like the salty appearance of numbers on the sails. Even if not racing, it is sort of a "style" thing for me. My boat is #1827 and I ordered numbers separately because I forgot to ask Intensity to include a set when I bought the sails. The numbers should be placed below and aft of the DS insignia. I remember going to a website for number placement, which was helpful, but I can't recall the site. Ideally, the numbers on the port and starboard sides of the sail should be "stacked" ... that is the numbers on port side should be placed just below or just above those on the starboard side. If you place them right on top of each other, they will be difficult to read when the sun shines through the sail. Line them up carefully, perhaps making light pencil marks, before removing the adhesive strip. Once on, they are not easy to remove and start over, so you need to get it right the first time.

Enjoy your sails.

Kevin
kkearns

Postby dbk0630 » Thu May 26, 2011 8:42 pm

Here's an example of the "stacking" of the sail numbers that kkearns was referring to.

Dave K.
dbk0630

Postby mbowser » Fri May 27, 2011 8:01 am

Thanks for the info everyone, your all a huge help. I like the 'stacked' placement and will plan on doing that. I didn't order the numbers separately but they came with the main along with an extra set of telltales. I guess the sails come with them now. I am really looking forward to my first sail with them this weekend. My old sails (original Rolly Tasker 1970) were so blown out it was a joke. To make matters worse, they sat in a pool of water in the cuddy for many years before I found the boat underneath an old collapsed barn and had big rust stains all over them.

As a side note, I think I read somewhere that many class associations require that a sailmaker buy into a class to make a sail legal and then they can badge it with a class royalty label. I don't know whether that is true or not, but in any event I have no plans to race.
mbowser

Postby ChrisB » Fri May 27, 2011 9:34 am

I'm glad to hear Kevin is on his third year with his Intensity sails and is still happy with them. I bought a jib from Intensity last summer that I have been very happy with and I just took the plunge and ordered a mainsail. Like mbowser I have no plans to race the boat but my 1980 Neil Pryde sails have given all they had and it is time for a well deserved retirement.
Chris B.
ChrisB

Postby jdoorly » Fri May 27, 2011 11:13 pm

I got a new Intensity main and jib last year. Although I don't plan to race, I put the number on the main because the combination of class ("DS") and sail number "XXXX" are a unique and individual identification, and will also ease identification by the Coast Guard and others, if necessary. When I registered my DSC radio with the Coast Guard having that number in the database will be a lot more helpful just "light blue hull w/ white deck".
DS2 #6408 "Desperado"
jdoorly

Postby GreenLake » Sat May 28, 2011 4:17 pm

I didn't know the correct sail #, so I ordered my last sail without. The old sail was the same (I think that one had been a used one from a different boat, with sail number removed). Anyway, I got used to the look of just the bare "DS"...

However, a while ago I started to join the local, all-comers beer can races. Amazingly, they were happy to let me participate without sail # or even boat name. Well, if you're the only DS on the lake, that kind of works...

But, now that I officially know my sail number, might be nice to display it ... so - where's the best source for the number decals? I've seen two kinds on other boats, ones with sharp corners and others with rounded ones. The latter would seem a better choice for anything that's not sown on - sharp corners have a way of coming off.

And, how are they put on. Is it just sticky tape, or is there a trick to it?
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby jdoorly » Sat May 28, 2011 10:27 pm

The kind of numbers that came with the Intensity sails where the squared-off "LCD" style that are all "8's" and you snip off the parts that don't look like the number you want. But Sailrite has the rounded style as well:

http://search.sailrite.com/?freeText=sail%20numbers
DS2 #6408 "Desperado"
jdoorly

Postby TIM WEBB » Sun May 29, 2011 10:03 pm

I got "scolded" at the Kettle Kup in Dec (the only race I do all year! and also the only DS on the water ...) for not having #s on the sail, so I decided to make an honest boat outta 'er and put the Sailrite #s on the 5 year old Neil Pryde main. Used a "J" roller, and they went on nice and neat. Might've put 'em a little too close to the leach, but at least now "the sails go with the hull"!

(Original sails had no numbers, but boat ID is XDY10099M79LD, so until somebody else tells me that *they* are 10099, that number is MINE! ;-P

Also, just ordered lettering for the hull:

http://doityourselflettering.com

Yes, The Red Witch will finally be christened. To the best of my knowledge, she has never been "officially" named or christened before. Does anyone know the proper protocol for the first time she hits the O2 with a name on 'er? I'd really hate to piss her off by busting a bottle of bubbly over her bow, as I'm sure she'd see that as a waste of a perfectly good bottle of bubbly, but then again, I don't want to piss off Neptune either?!?!
TIM WEBB

Postby Alan » Sun May 29, 2011 10:34 pm

Never been named? Well, then, you're probably safe . But I'd involve a ceremony anyway, just in case, and really good champagne, just in case.

Denaming ceremony from The Practical Encyclopedia of Boating, by John Vigor (denaming parts skipped):

"You can read the naming ceremony with flair on the foredeck before a gathering of distinguished guests or, if you find this whole business embarrassing and go along with it only if you're scared of what might happen if you don't, you can skulk down below and mumble in solitude. But the words must be spoken.

"The last part of the ceremony, the libation, should be performed at the bow. Use good champagne and spray all of it on the bow - do not presume to save some for yourself. The gods despise cheapskates; buy another bottle for your own consumption."

[text of ceremony available if anyone's interested enough to get my elderly typing fingers moving, but you get the idea]

I've looked at Red Witch's mods several times, by the way. Very well thought out.
Alan

Postby TIM WEBB » Mon May 30, 2011 12:07 am

Thanks Alan!

But, does one have to actually break the bottle on the bow? I'm no cheapskate, and will gladly provide the quality bubbly, seein's how champagne is the *only* alchohol my wife will drink, on special occasions of course! However, I seriously question the damage I might do to the boat?!?!?!

Thx 4 the compliments on the mods to the ol' girl - she sails happier with every one! ;-P
TIM WEBB

Postby Alan » Mon May 30, 2011 11:06 am

I read "spray all of it on the bow - do not presume to save some for yourself" to mean putting your thumb over the bottle, shaking it, and letting go, in part because if you break the bottle, you can't save any for yourself.

It's a fine tradition to break a champagne bottle against the bow of a steel ship, but smacking heavy glass against a Daysailer's relatively thin fiberglass? I cringe at the thought, which may have something to with my thinking.
Alan

Postby mbowser » Mon May 30, 2011 7:24 pm

Just had the new sail out for the weekend. Wow, what a difference they make. Of course my old sails were such a disaster it's not really fair to compare them.

The only issue I had was the main was a bit unwieldy because it's so stiff compared to the old one. Getting it on was a bit of a chore and I decided to do so once we were launched. It took me so long I ended up dropping the hook to get things in order (no motor to keep me off the rocks). I'll probably get it on before I launch next time.

Any tips as to the most graceful way to get a new main on?

Edit: I didn't have time to get my numbers on...
mbowser

Postby GreenLake » Mon May 30, 2011 9:38 pm

New mains are stiff...

I switched to rolling mine. The old one was so soft, that it could (almost) be stuffed into a bag like a spinnaker. :shock: I can slide the roll onto the boom, but the problem is that I have to unroll the whole thing before I can raise it. Somehow, I've gotten used to all of this, and despite various additions to the running rigging over the years (inhauls come to mind) the interesting thing is that I've gotten way faster setting up and launching than I used to.

Used to take an hour, now reaching 35min from driving up to sailing off is possible (whenever there's no congestion on the ramp). The reverse is a little slower...

Whenever possible I raise all sails before casting off. It's just easier. (I'm lucky, the ramp I use most often has a very obliging building that puts just the dock into good wind shadow.) Some days I motor back, and start taking sails off on the water, but usually, I wait until I'm docked or beached.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Next

Return to Sails